1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me decipher what this problem is asking? (Power Series)

1. Nov 22, 2014 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the power series centered at
    a= 0:
    Σkx^(k+1)
    From 1 to infinity

(a) Find its radius of convergence, R, and its interval of convergence. = DONE

(b) For x in the interval (-R,R) find the sum of the power series.
    Help?

2. Relevant equations
    N/a

3. The attempt at a solution

So here's what I have already. For Part a, I calculated the radius of convergence to be 1 and the interval to be from -1<x<1. So we know that R = 1 and it's asking us the sum of the power series (-1, 1).

The problem I am having conceptually is, how do you get the sum when x is -1 and 1?

My only idea is to find the sum of the power series when x = 1 and the sum when x=-1 and then add them?
    Is this correct?

If I am not thinking this correctly, please help me decipher what the question is asking. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2014 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't think that there is a uniform way to solve such problems as evaluating an infinite series. The only way I know how to do it is to play around with the series and see if you can get it into a form that you know.

Here's a hint: Do you know how to evaluate the following series: [itex]S(x) = \sum_k x^k[/itex]? Do you know how to do something to [itex]S(x)[/itex] to make it more like your series?

4. Nov 22, 2014 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Well, if you expand out the exponent. x^(k+1) you get x^k*x which is more similar.

It would be the sum of k[x^k*x] which is not identical, but closer.

5. Nov 22, 2014 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Two questions:
    1. Do you know what the infinite sum S(x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... adds up to?
    2. What happens when you take a derivative of S(x)?

6. Nov 25, 2014 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Well, the derivative of x^k is very similar to my function of k*x^(k-1).

To answer your questions
    1) The sum adds up to (1/1-x)
    2) The derivative of this is 1/(x-1)^2

I am starting to sort of understand what is going on here. We need to use the x^n series to calculate this power series. I'm almost here, but may need another hint or two.

I guess, I don't understand how the problem can ask for the sum when it is with x in an interval. (-1, 1). Should I try to find the sum at -1 and the sum at 1 and then add them?

EDIT: Well, actually, the series DIVERGES on x=-1, 1, but anything in between it converges. :/

7. Nov 25, 2014 #6

RJLiberator

Gold Member

I may have just made a breakthrough!!

So we know that 1/(1-x) series is very similar. If we replace x with kx^(k+1) then we have our series represented, correct?

The representation for this series is 1/(1-kx^(k+1))

Now:
    1) Am I correct about this?
    2) How do I evaluate it at -R, R when they both diverge? :/
    Do I just plug in -1 and 1 into this as x and receive the answers of :

-1 = 1/(1-k(-1)^(k+1))
    1 = 1/(1-k)

Hm...

8. Nov 26, 2014 #7

RJLiberator

Gold Member

I've learned that this problem is NOT asking for an exact number, but merely a general 'formula' representation of if.

Use the series 1/(1-x) for the interval of convergence.

Take the derivative and multiple numerator and denominator by x^2 to make the series identical .

try taking some derivatives.

Differentiate term by term.

x^2/(1-x)^2 may be the answer

9. Nov 26, 2014 #8

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

FIrst of all, the series in question does NOT converge when [itex]x=\pm 1[/itex]. I think that you should interpret the question as asking what it converges to when [itex] -1 < x < +1[/itex].

Second, you can't replace [itex]x[/itex] by [itex]k x^{k+1}[/itex], because [itex]k[/itex] is not a fixed number.

Third: Your series is [itex]\sum_k k x^{k+1} = 0 + x^2 + 2 x^3 + ...[/itex]. Note that you can factor out [itex]x^2[/itex]. Try writing it in a factored form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted