Finding Normal Vector and Tangent Plane at a Given Point

In summary, to find the normal vector and equation of the tangent plane to a surface at a given point, use the formula z= z0+Fx(x0,y0)(x-x0)+Fy(x0,y0)(y-y0) and n=(Fx(x0,y0) , Fy(X0,Y0) , -1). For the given surface S: z=ln(x2+3y2), the normal vector is (4,-6,-1) and the equation of the tangent plane at the point x0=(2,-1,ln7) is 4x-6y-z-14+7ln7=0. For the surface z^2+ x^2+ y^
charmedbeauty
help me find this normal vector!

Homework Statement

Find a normal vector n and the equation of the tangent plane to the surface S at the point x0

S: z=ln(x2+3y2)

x0=(2,-1,ln7)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so I have this general formula from the textbook.

z= z0+Fx(x0,y0)(x-x0)+Fy(x0,y0)(y-y0)

and n=(Fx(x0,y0) , Fy(X0,Y0) , -1) respectively.

so using these

S: z= ln(x2+3y2)

let u=x2+3y2

z=ln(u)

dz/du=(1/u) (u')

Fx(x,y) = d/dx(u)/u = 2x/(x2+3y2) = 4

Fy = d/dy (u)/u = 6y/ (x2+3y2) = -6

z= ln7 + 4(x-2)-6(y+1)

z= ln7 +4x -6y -14

ln7 +4x -6y -14 -z = 0

so n =(4,-6,-1)T

but they have 4x-6y-7z-14+7ln7=0

and n= (4, -6, -7)T

?? I am not sure what I have done wrong but it looks very close to what they have.

any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

charmedbeauty said:
Fx(x,y) = d/dx(u)/u = 2x/(x2+3y2) = 4

Fy = d/dy (u)/u = 6y/ (x2+3y2) = -6
Check your numerical results of the substitution of x0,y0 here. :)

uart said:
Check your numerical results of the substitution of x0,y0 here. :)

ohh no (-1)2≠-1.

Thanks a bunch uart!

Do you think you could give me a hint in the right direction for this one?

z2+x2+y2=1

x0=(1/3 , 1/2, √23/ 6)

If I do it the usual way and I solve for z, I get a negative sqrt term so I don't think that is the right approach.

there is some inequalities I can see but I don't think that helps
I think its a sphere but that doesn't really help me either.

please help. Thanks.

If [itex]z^2+ x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex] then [itex]z= \pm\sqrt{1- x^2- y^2}[/itex]. That is not a "negative squareroot" it simply means that [itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex] cannot be larger than 1. And that must be true geometrically because this is the surface of a sphere of radius 1.

But it is not necessary to solve for z. If a surface is given by F(x, y, z)= constant, then the gradient, [itex]\nabla F[/itex] is a normal vector at each point on the surface. Here [itex]F(x, y, z)= x^2+ y^2+ z^2[/itex] so that [itex]\nabla F= 2x\vec{i}+ 2y\vec{j}+ 2z\vec{k}[/itex]. At the given point, that is [itex](2/3)\vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ \sqrt{34}/3\vec{j}[/itex] so the tangent plane at that point is [itex](2/3)(x- 1/3)+ (y- 1/2)+ \sqrt{34}{3}(z- \sqrt{34}/6)= 0[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
If [itex]z^2+ x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex] then [itex]z= \pm\sqrt{1- x^2- y^2}[/itex]. That is not a "negative squareroot" it simply means that [itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex] cannot be larger than 1. And that must be true geometrically because this is the surface of a sphere of radius 1.

But it is not necessary to solve for z. If a surface is given by F(x, y, z)= constant, then the gradient, [itex]\nabla F[/itex] is a normal vector at each point on the surface. Here [itex]F(x, y, z)= x^2+ y^2+ z^2[/itex] so that [itex]\nabla F= 2x\vec{i}+ 2y\vec{j}+ 2z\vec{k}[/itex]. At the given point, that is [itex](2/3)\vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ \sqrt{34}/3\vec{j}[/itex] so the tangent plane at that point is [itex](2/3)(x- 1/3)+ (y- 1/2)+ \sqrt{34}{3}(z- \sqrt{34}/6)= 0[/itex].

ok I think that should be a √23 /6 not √34 /6

but that is a really convenient way of doing that. thanks a lot.

but for some reason in their answer they have multiplied it by three i.e.

2x +3y+√23z -6 = 0

does this not change the normal vector in a geometric way?

since they have n=(2,3,√23)T

and not n=(2/3,1,√23 /3)T

??

Thanks.

1. What is a normal vector?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface or a line. It is also known as a perpendicular vector or a unit normal vector.

2. How do I find the normal vector of a line?

To find the normal vector of a line, you can use the formula (a, b, c), where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the line's equation in the standard form (ax + by + c = 0). The normal vector will be perpendicular to the line and its length will be 1.

3. Can I find the normal vector of a 3D surface?

Yes, you can find the normal vector of a 3D surface using the cross product of two tangent vectors on the surface. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to the surface at the point of intersection.

4. Is the normal vector unique?

No, the normal vector is not unique. A line or surface can have multiple normal vectors depending on the orientation of the surface or line.

5. Why is the normal vector important in mathematics and science?

The normal vector is important in mathematics and science because it is used to determine the direction of motion, forces, and other physical quantities in 3D space. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering.