Help me fix my bike

DocToxyn
Science Advisor
Here's http://www.canecreek.com/244.html [Broken] to the page containing diagrams and instructions for the Aheadset. Go down the page to the section which includes the STS model, click on instructions in your preferred language and off you go. Let us know if you need any more help with the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Also, I'll say that it's almost certain that you have the cartridge type of bottom bracket, so you won't have to mess around with the bearings. Just take the old one to the bike shop and they'll give you a direct replacement.

thanks doc, I am sure I will be able to figure it out from there... hopefully.!

can someone tell me what the star fangled nut and the compression bolt are? is the compression bolt the little cap that goes on the end of the tube at the top?

DocToxyn
Science Advisor
The star nut should already be inside the steerer tube of your fork, you shouldn't have to do anything with this unless you get a new fork. I'm pretty sure you're close to right about the compression bolt, it goes along with the compression cap and should fit into the top of the steerer tube just above where your stem is. This bolt should mesh with the star nut to provide the compression necessary to keep the whole headset/frame/fork unit together. Don't tighten it too much or you will crack the cap, it only needs to hold things together, not squeeze the daylights out of it.

ok, I figured it out. It turns out I was tightening the handle bars to the steering tube before I tightened the compression bolt. Thanks again for the link doc. you saved me. We are having a family bike trip sunday and I was getting worried I wouldn't have this fixed by then. I still have that clicking in my bearings in the front derailer part but I've had that problem for years and can live with it for the trip tomorrow.

jamie4w
what went wrong?

i tried to change the forks and handle bars on my bike, so i removed all the parts, then found out the new forks werent compatible. when i went to put the old folks and handle bars back on the, the long pin with the hex allen top wont tighten at the bottom. i'm sure i havent lost any parts. its like the pin has shrunk (It has'nt).

what am i doing wrong.
any help would be great thanks

holy crap, i can't believe this thread is this old. I could've sworn that it was just this summer I posted stuff about my bike. WOW the time is flying by...