Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me logic needed

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1
    Hi guys
    Can u guys pls give me a logic to balance cheical euations. I have done some work in java but am unable to get any balancing equation logic. Can anyone tell me how to make computer perform some fuction in a specific order using Java
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2005 #2

Is'int there someone to help me. pls i need help. i am desperate.
  4. Aug 12, 2005 #3
    How many computer-oriented people understand how to equate chemical balance? Personally I couldn't wrap my brain around it. I can grasp the physics, but the actual calculations might as well be in sanskrit for all the good they do for me.
  5. Aug 12, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus

This is more of a linear equations/trial-and-error problem then anything else.

Let's take a simple example:

Cu + O2 ----> Cu2O

1) Give each portion of the equation a unique multiplier

X1*Cu + X2*O2 ---> X3*Cu2O

2) Equate same elements

X1*Cu = X3*Cu2
    X2*O2 = X3*O

3)Bring subscript to front

X1*Cu = 2*X3*Cu
    2*X2*O = X3*O

4) Equate Cofficients

X1 = 2*X3
    2*X2 = X3

5) Select a variable, say X3, and equate it to 1. Sove for other cofficients. Are all the cofficients integers? No? Try X3=2. Are all the cofficients integers? Yes? X1 = 4, X2=1, X3=2

4Cu + O2 ----> 2Cu2O

Hint: Your definitely going to use arrays to store the equation cofficients.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  6. Aug 12, 2005 #5
    Dngrsone ----> head explodey
  7. Aug 12, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus

If there is anything confusing about chemistry it is definitely nomenclature. Balancing is easy.
  8. Aug 12, 2005 #7
    If that's so, then what happened to the other two copper atoms in the last equation?
  9. Aug 12, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus

What do you mean? The 4 copper atoms are combining with the O2 molecule to create 2 Copper (I) Oxide molecules.

Copper (I) Oxide: Cu -- O -- Cu
  10. Aug 13, 2005 #9
    Okay, I can see the sense in that, but now your first example looks wrong-- I see one copper atom and an O2 molecule becoming a Copper Oxide molecule
  11. Aug 13, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus

That's why it is called an unbalanced equation to start with. The reaction couldn't happen otherwise. The final solution is what you need to make the reaction happen.

Let me put it this way: Say your making a cake with a gallon of milk and a tablespoon of cake mix. You know this combination is not going to work. Thats why you need to scale or "balance" the ingredients so that the cake does come out right.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  12. Aug 13, 2005 #11
    Okay... I see the equation now. So what the original poster wants is a way to figure out the amounts needed of each ingredint to produce the desired output?

Here I was thinking he wanted to know what happens when you combine two ingredients... getting all the valences, ionizations and all that crap straight and knowing how the chemicals will actually interact is what causes my head to go explody.
  13. Aug 13, 2005 #12

Staff Emeritus

Yeah, I think you where making the problem harder than it really is.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?