Help me out with my major(s) (Please)

• Programs
  • Thread starter AlphaOmega3fa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacex
In summary, the speaker is a second year student at Stony Brook University, initially majoring in ME but now majoring in physics with a specific interest in quantum and Newtonian mechanics. Their goal is to have an impact in space exploration, especially with the focus shifting to businesses like SpaceX, Armadillo, and Ad Astra. They plan on getting involved in the business world and potentially starting their own company one day. They are considering adding an economics or business major/minor to their studies, but also have a nagging feeling that an engineering education may be more beneficial. Ultimately, their goal is to attain a degree in applied physics, ME, AE, or an MBA. The speaker acknowledges that a degree may not be necessary to
AlphaOmega3fa
I'm currently in my 2nd year at Stony Brook University. I initially planned on majoring in ME but now majoring in physics. I'm mostly interested in quantum and Newtonian mechanics; I have a distaste for electrodynamics and am not looking forward to optics but I'll try my best.

My main goal in life is to have an impact in space exploration(and habitation), and now because the focus in the industry has shifted from NASA to businesses, companies like SpaceX, Armadillo, and Ad Astra are making progress. I plan on getting involved in the business and hopefully heading my own one day. I know some of you must be thinking, "Who does this guy think he is?" lol

I think I may need more than a Physics education to achieve this, so I am thinking about an Economics major or Business major/minor in addition. But I also have a nagging feeling that perhaps an engineering education would be better overall although I plan on going to graduate school to attain something like a Applied Physics/ME/AE/MBA degree.

So, I'm setting my sights on the big cheese. What do you guys think? What should I do

Physics news on Phys.org
The best thing about creating a business is that you don't really have to have a degree in any particular field to make a business out of any particular field! My aunt does labels for a company down in San Diego that makes excimer lasers for use in the CPU fabrication business (and when machines take up multiple rooms, labels AREN'T a trivial matter). The company was started by a couple physicists and chemists! Hell, people say you don't use anything you learn in a business program out in the real world so what's the point?

1. What majors should I consider?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as it depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. It is important to explore different options, talk to academic advisors and professionals in your field of interest, and consider your long-term goals to determine which majors would be the best fit for you.

2. Can I double major?

Yes, many universities offer the option to double major. However, it is important to carefully consider the workload and requirements for both majors to ensure you can successfully complete them within your desired timeframe. It is also important to note that some majors may have restrictions on double majoring, so it is best to consult with an academic advisor.

3. How will my major(s) impact my future career?

Your major(s) can have a significant impact on your future career opportunities. Some majors may lead to more specific career paths, while others may provide a broader range of options. It is important to research the job market and potential career paths for your major(s) to better understand how they can impact your future.

4. Can I change my major?

Yes, it is common for students to change their major during their college career. If you are considering changing your major, it is important to speak with your academic advisor to understand the requirements and potential impacts on your graduation timeline. It is also a good idea to research potential majors and speak with professionals in those fields to gain a better understanding of what to expect.

5. What can I do with a specific major?

This question is best answered by researching the job market and career paths for your specific major. You can also speak with professionals in your field of interest to gain insight into potential career opportunities. It is important to keep in mind that your major does not necessarily dictate your career path, and there may be a variety of job opportunities available to you regardless of your major.