Confusion with Calculating Centroid and Center of Mass for a Cone

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sort
In summary: The statement means that z2 = r2 only on the boundary of the cone. In other words, z2 = r2 only if and only if r = z on the boundary.
WiFO215
NOTE: THIS IS NOT A HW PROBLEM
While calculating the moment of inertia of a cone, I made a mistake and got confused. Although I juggled the numbers and got the right answer, I have a doubt.

Say I have to calculate the centroid of a cone z2 = r2.

0 < z < h

It is quite obvious that the x and y co-ordinates of the centroid are zero. As for the z co-ordinate it can be calculated as follows:

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]_{V}[/tex] r2 dV =

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]_{V}[/tex] r2 r dr d[tex]\Theta[/tex] dz =

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]_{V}[/tex] r3 dr d[tex]\Theta[/tex] dz = [tex]\Pi[/tex]h5/10

But instead, in step 2 if I substituted r = z (from the equation of the cone), I get a completely different answer.

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]_{V}[/tex] z2 z dr d[tex]\Theta[/tex] dz =

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]_{V}[/tex] z3 dr d[tex]\Theta[/tex] dz = 2[tex]\Pi[/tex]h5/5

I got a similar doubt while calculating the center of mass, wherein I plugged in z = r in the equation and got a different (and wrong) answer.

Shouldn't I get the same answer either way? Why don't I get it?

Anirudh

Physics news on Phys.org
anirudh215 said:
Shouldn't I get the same answer either way? Why don't I get it?

Hi Anirudh! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π :wink:)

You've probably got the limits wrong …

what limits did you use?

tiny-tim said:
have a theta: θ and a pi: π

:smile:

For the first one I used:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{2\Pi}_{\Theta = 0}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{h}_{z = 0}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{z}_{r = 0}[/tex] r3 dr d[tex]\Theta[/tex] dz

For the second one I used:[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{2\Pi}_{\Theta = 0}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{h}_{z = 0}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{z}_{z = 0}[/tex] z3 dr d[tex]\Theta[/tex] dz

I used the same limits because r = z. Is that wrong? (Obviously, it MUST be as the answer isn't right)

hmm … looking again, these are different integrals …
anirudh215 said:
[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]_{V}[/tex] r2 r dr d[tex]\Theta[/tex] dz =

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]_{V}[/tex] z2 z dr d[tex]\Theta[/tex] dz = …

∫∫∫ r2 is not the same as ∫∫∫ z2

z2 = r2 only on the boundary, not everywhere in the middle …

(and you can't transform away r dr anyway)

tiny-tim said:
(and you can't transform away r dr anyway)

Okay I understood that r = z only on the boundary. What does the above statement mean though?

Related to Confusion with Calculating Centroid and Center of Mass for a Cone

What does "sort this out" mean?

"Sort this out" typically means to organize or arrange something in a more logical or systematic way.

Why is it important to sort things out?

Sorting things out can help to make sense of a complex or confusing situation, identify patterns or trends, and make decisions based on the organized information.

How can I effectively sort things out?

The best way to sort things out will depend on the specific situation, but some general tips include breaking down the information into smaller parts, categorizing or grouping related items, and using visual aids like charts or diagrams.

What are some common methods for sorting data?

Some common methods for sorting data include alphabetical or numerical order, chronological order, and sorting by category or theme.

Can sorting things out be done in a scientific way?

Yes, sorting things out can be approached scientifically by using a systematic and logical approach, collecting and analyzing data, and making evidence-based conclusions.

Back