Understanding Molecular Motion: Diffusion of Phospholipids in Bacteria

• Thread starter SUchica10
  • Start date
In summary, phospholipid molecules within a monolayer exchange places every 10^-7 seconds and it takes 1 second for a molecule to diffuse from one end of a bacterium to the other. The diameter of a phospholipid head is 0.5 nm. In part B, assuming a lipid molecule is the size of a ping pong ball, the balls would be moving at a velocity of ___ km/h and it would take ____ for a ball to move from one end of a 6m by 6m room to the other. In part A, it can be determined whether the given numbers are in agreement by using a similar analysis.
SUchica10
Within a monolayer phospholipid molecules exchange places with their neighbors every 10^-7 seconds. It takes about 1 second for a phospholipid to diffuse from one end of the bacterium to the other, a distance of about 2 micrometers.

A) Are these numbers in agreement? Assume that the diameter of a phospholipid head is 0.5 nm. Explain why or why not.

B) To gain an appreciation for the speed of molecular motions, assume that a lipid molecule is the size of a ping pong ball (4 cm diameter) and that the floor of your living room (6 m by 6 m) is covered wall to wall in a monolayer of balls. If two neighboring balls exchanged positions every 10^-7 seconds how fast would they be moving in km/h? How long would it take for a ball to move from one end of the room to another?

I am not sure where to begin with these and what type of equations to use. If anyone can at least help me begin thatd be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well at least part B is straightforward algebra. A ping-pong ball moves 4cm every 0.1us. What is that velocity in units of km/hr? At that speed, how long does it take for a ball to travel the 6m to go from wall-to-wall?

Then I guess you're supposed to use a similar analysis to check the numbers for the biological dimension case in part A. Does that help?

A) The numbers provided are in agreement. To determine this, we can use the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time. In this case, the distance is 2 micrometers (2 x 10^-6 meters) and the time is 10^-7 seconds. Plugging these values into the equation, we get v = (2 x 10^-6 m) / (10^-7 s) = 20 m/s. This is equivalent to the speed of sound in air, which is a reasonable speed for molecular motion. Additionally, the diameter of a phospholipid head is 0.5 nm (5 x 10^-10 meters), which is much smaller than the distance of 2 micrometers. This means that the phospholipid molecules have enough room to move and exchange places with their neighbors within the given time frame.

B) To determine the speed of the lipid molecules in km/h, we first need to convert the distance of 6 m to km (1 km = 1000 m), which gives us 0.006 km. Then, using the same equation v = d/t, we can calculate the velocity of the molecules as v = (0.006 km) / (10^-7 s) = 6 x 10^4 km/h. This is an incredibly high speed, which is expected due to the large size of the ping pong ball compared to the distance being covered. To determine the time it would take for a ball to move from one end of the room to the other, we can rearrange the equation to t = d/v, where t is the time, d is the distance, and v is the velocity. Plugging in the values, we get t = (0.006 km) / (6 x 10^4 km/h) = 1 x 10^-7 hours. This is equivalent to 0.36 seconds, which is incredibly fast. This demonstrates the incredible speed at which molecular motion occurs in comparison to our everyday experiences.

Related to Understanding Molecular Motion: Diffusion of Phospholipids in Bacteria

1. How do I begin my research project?

Starting a research project can be daunting, but here are some steps to get you started:
1. Choose a topic that interests you and is feasible to research.
2. Conduct a literature review to see what has already been done on the topic.
3. Develop a research question or hypothesis.
4. Design your study and choose a methodology.
5. Gather and analyze data.
6. Draw conclusions and make recommendations.

2. What are some tips for organizing my research?

Here are a few tips for organizing your research:
1. Create a research plan or outline to guide your work.
2. Use a citation manager to keep track of sources and create reference lists.
3. Keep detailed notes and document your sources.
4. Use a file naming system to keep track of your documents.
5. Consider using a research management tool or software to organize your data.

3. How do I know if my research is original?

To ensure that your research is original, you should conduct a thorough literature review. This involves searching for and reading previous studies on your topic. If your research question or hypothesis has already been extensively studied, you may need to adjust your approach or choose a different topic. Additionally, you can use plagiarism checker tools to make sure your work is not similar to previously published work.

4. How do I choose the right methodology for my research?

Choosing a methodology for your research depends on your research question, data availability, and personal preferences. Some common methodologies include experiments, surveys, interviews, and case studies. Consider the strengths and limitations of each method and choose the one that best fits your research goals.

5. What are some common pitfalls to avoid when starting a research project?

Some common pitfalls to avoid when starting a research project include:
1. Not conducting a thorough literature review.
2. Having a vague or unfeasible research question.
3. Not clearly defining your methodology.
4. Not keeping organized and detailed notes.
5. Not allowing enough time for data collection and analysis.
6. Not seeking feedback from peers or mentors.
7. Not following ethical guidelines.
8. Not considering potential biases in your research.
9. Not properly citing sources.
10. Not revising and editing your work before submission.