Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me understand how much heat sink possible with frozen H2O

1. Aug 14, 2012 #1
    So many questions on this topic....but I guess the starting point would be to explain the reason for the question. That way, maybe someone can help me work backwards to answer the question....and thus I can apply that to other situations.

I have a friend who thinks he can make a personal cooling system, using frozen water (0c) as the coolant. I say that the amount of heat sink capacity of say 128oz of frozen water, is probably way too small to matter, in terms of cooling a person off while climbing a mountain, in 90 F degree heat, for 3 hours. Add to that the weight of the water itself is 8 pounds. It seems to me the ice would be melted and assume the ambient temp so quickly, that little would have happened in terms of cooling the person off....over a 3 hour period of exertion.

So, I'm trying to understand (maybe there's a solid formula for this) how much heat sink is possible, using ice as the sink, and an ambient temp. or 90F....or 99F I guess, since the purpose is to sink energy from the person, which is surely 99F.

I have another question, which is related.....but I'll ask it separately.

Thanks in advance as always!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

8 lb (3.6kg) ice takes 3.6*334 = 1200 kJ to melt it.
    Walking slowly generates 150W. For mountain walking I see a figure of 300W, but I'm not sure whether that is heat generated or power consumed; the difference is that a lot of the energy goes into raising you up the mountain, so does not end up as heat. Let's take 250W.
    In practice, some ice will melt as a result of heat from the environment, but suppose we could prevent that; or, at least, suppose that it roughly balances the heat lost by the walker to the environment. 1200kJ/250W = 4800 seconds = 1 hour 20 minutes.
    The melted ice would still be cold, so you could get another 20 minutes from that. Better still, use it to wet a bandana, so now you get evaporative cooling too, and the weight reduces.

4. Aug 16, 2012 #3
    And the climber has something to drink.

Why start at 0c? Why not start at -40c or -50c? I realize most of the heat is absorbed during melting but starting colder certainly cant hurt.

5. Aug 17, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

No harm in replacing heat stroke by frostbite....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook