Is a Physics Degree Limiting My Career Options?

In summary: If you are looking for a change and want to get into a well-paying field, this may be the route for you.
Atomos
I just finished my first year of a 4 year physics degree, and it made me realize that although I love physics and I am really good at it, but I do not want to be a physicist. This has a lot to do with my first taste of research life with a condensed matter group I had been helping. It made me realize that I really do not want to waste 10 to 15 years of my life going between lowpaying postdoc positions, being someone's lab monkey for the chance of getting a stable and well paying tenure/tenure-track position by the time half of my life is gone.

I love physics, but I can't see myself devoting every aspect of my life to it like some of my friends are able to do.

I am looking for a way out, and into a well payed profession, but I don't think I want to leave physics completely, i.e. change degrees.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make a physics degree useful for maybe a life in finance, or industry or anything? (I am open to possibilities)

Could maybe trying a differing field have an impact on my attitudes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered that there are other options besides going the route of being a post-doc lab monkey?
What about engineering?
Many schools are beginning to offer degrees in engineering management. Perhaps you could go this route if you are looking for something more money oriented. It seems to be a sort of merger of physics, engineering and a bit of business.
Either way the are a plethora of jobs in industry hiring physics majors but not directly doing physics. Search around on this forum a bit for threads about physics salaries and jobs there have been some recent ones.

You could do a two year masters in math with a concentration in finance. I don't know what other universities offer this, but here's a link to the curriculum for the one at LSU:
https://www.math.lsu.edu/dept/grad/fincrs

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for your advice. The masters in mathemtical finance thing seems interesting. A lot of uni's seem to offer it.

If you want to stay with a technical field you should consider Engineering Physics. I received my undergrad in regular physics. In the fall I am going to be starting in the masters in engineering physics program at Appalachian State University. The program is designed to teach you real world work details and information. Most classes have labs associated with them and you receive much hands-on experience.

Related to Is a Physics Degree Limiting My Career Options?

1. How can I improve my understanding of complex physics concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of complex physics concepts is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. Take the time to fully understand each component before moving on to the next. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from peers or tutors can also enhance your understanding.

2. What are some helpful resources for learning physics?

There are many helpful resources for learning physics, such as textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, study groups, and practice problems. It is also useful to seek out real-world applications of the concepts you are learning.

3. How can I stay motivated when studying physics?

One way to stay motivated when studying physics is to set specific goals for yourself. This could be completing a certain number of practice problems or understanding a certain concept by a certain date. Additionally, finding a study group or setting aside dedicated study time can also help keep you motivated.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with a physics problem?

If you are struggling with a physics problem, it is important to first identify the specific concept or step that is causing difficulty. Then, try to find additional resources or ask for help from peers or a tutor. It can also be helpful to approach the problem from a different angle or break it down into smaller parts.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of physics in my everyday life?

Physics is present in many aspects of our everyday lives, from the motion of objects to the properties of light and sound. One way to apply your knowledge of physics is to actively look for these connections and think critically about how the concepts you are learning apply to the world around you. You can also use physics principles to solve real-world problems or make informed decisions about technology and the environment.