How Do You Calculate Bicycle Deceleration?

In summary: In general, it is better to use the "Ans" key on your calculator instead of retyping every number. So you would do it like this:0^2 + 5.56^2 = 30.9136Ans/(2*1.8) = 17.174Ans is the answer from the last calculation, so you don't have to type in 30.9136 again. Of course, in this case, you don't really need the "Ans" key, since you can do it all in one go:(0^2 + 5.56^2)/(2*1.8) = 17.174Either way, it is always a good
Masschaos
1. I need to find the deceleration of a bicycle, I have Finial velocity at 0, initial velocity at 5.56m/s and discplacement at 1.80m

2. V^2+U^2/(2*S)=A
not sure if formula is correct

The Attempt at a Solution

I find that 0^2+5.56^2/(2*180) = -27m/s/s
Is this correct? i think its too fast

Physics news on Phys.org
Masschaos said:
Redo your arithmetic.

(v^2-u^2)/(2*s)=a

(0^2-5.56^2)/(2*1.8m) = -27m/s/s

... is that better?
Is the formula incorrect?

Welcome to PF!

Hi Masschaos! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Masschaos said:

Your formula (a = -u2/2s) is correct, but your arithmetic isn't …

did you multiply by 1.8 instead of dividing? :confused:

(you don't seem very good at using brackets)

Thanks! its late at night here and i was stressing because i thought i had the wrong formula for my assignment... thanks for the heads up

So what i should do is (v2-u2)/2*1.8)?

Masschaos said:
So what i should do is (v2-u2)/2*1.8)?
Yes. The formula is a = (v2 - u2)/(2*s), not ((v2 - u2)/2)*s (which is what you seemed to be doing). I suspect you are just being sloppy with your calculator.

What does "Help Needed Deceleration Quick Please" mean?

"Help Needed Deceleration Quick Please" is a phrase commonly used in emergency situations to indicate that urgent assistance is required to slow down or stop a potentially dangerous event.

What are some common scenarios where "Help Needed Deceleration Quick Please" might be used?

This phrase can be used in a variety of situations, such as a car accident, a medical emergency, a workplace accident, or any other situation where immediate deceleration or stopping is necessary.

How can I provide help in a deceleration emergency?

If you are present in a deceleration emergency and someone uses the phrase "Help Needed Deceleration Quick Please", the best way to provide assistance is to follow any safety protocols and instructions given by emergency responders or trained individuals. If you have received proper training, you may also be able to provide first aid or other necessary assistance.

What are some potential consequences of not responding quickly to a "Help Needed Deceleration Quick Please" situation?

Not responding quickly to a deceleration emergency can have serious consequences, such as further injury or harm to individuals involved, property damage, or loss of life. It is important to take any "Help Needed Deceleration Quick Please" situation seriously and respond promptly.

How can I prepare for a potential deceleration emergency?

To prepare for a potential deceleration emergency, it is important to familiarize yourself with emergency protocols and procedures, receive proper training, and stay calm in stressful situations. Additionally, having emergency supplies and equipment readily available can help in a deceleration emergency.