How Fast is an Asteroid Traveling Toward Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of an asteroid heading towards Earth and the decision to fire a nuclear warhead at it to prevent disaster. The necessary speed for the rocket carrying the warhead is determined to be 40km/s, while the rocket itself travels at 12km/s. The remaining calculation is to determine the speed of the asteroid, using the formula V2 = G * M * ((2/r) - (1/a)) and the given values of 2.8 astronomical units (AU) and 1.00 AU for the asteroid's greatest and smallest distance from the sun, respectively. After converting 1 AU to SI units and plugging in the values, the resulting speed of the asteroid is 12.915
fleetingmoment

Homework Statement

A asteroid is hurtling towards Earth and humankind has decided to fire a nuclear warhead at it in order to avert disaster. In order be most effective the rocket carrying the warhead has to impact the asteroid at 40km/s. The rocket itself travels at 12km/s. What remains is to calculate the speed of the asteroid. During its elliptical orbit, the asteroid's greatest distance from the sun is 2.8 astronomical units (AU) and its smallest 1.00 AU. Its average distance from the sun is then 1.9 AU.

Homework Equations

1 x AU = 1.4960 * 1011m[/B]
The formula provided for calculating the speed of the asteroid is:
V2 = G * M * ((2/r) - (1/a))
where G *M = 1.327 * 1020 (gravitational constant times solar mass), r is the asteroid's distance from the sun (the book doesn't specify whether it is the greatest distance or the smallest) and a is its average distance from the sun.
2.8 * 1.4960 * 1011 = 4.1888 * 1011 = r
1.9 * 1.4960 * 1011 = 2.8424 * 1011 = a

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging the relevant values into the equation thus:
V2 = 1.327 * 1020 * ((2/4.1888 * 1011) - (1/2.8424 * 1011))
gives 1.668 * 108
Taking the square root of both sides gives:
sqrt(V2) = sqrt(1.668 * 108) ⇔ V = 12915.1

Assuming my answer is correct, I've no idea what the given units are. Whether metres per second, or kilometres per hour, the value still seems incredibly high, given how fast asteroids actually travel. Have I gone wrong somewhere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because G and M are SI units. All units must be SI units.
fleetingmoment said:
1 x AU = 1.4960 * 108km
km is not SI unit, you must change into meter

Hamal_Arietis said:
Because G and M are SI units. All units must be SI units.

km is not SI unit, you must change into meter
Thanks, Hamal_Arietis
The new value of 12915.1 seems a lot more realistic. Assuming it's also in metres per second. I'm going to divide by 1000 and conclude that the asteroid is traveling at 12.915 km/s.

If you find the asteroid velocity for both its nearest and furthest position from the Sun you will see that there is a range of velocities. I suppose you could find a particular distance where the rocket's speed and asteroid's speed combine to make the optimum collision speed.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
gneill said:
If you find the asteroid velocity for both its nearest and furthest position from the Sun you will see that there is a range of velocities. I suppose you could find a particular distance where the rocket's speed and asteroid's speed combine to make the optimum collision speed.
Thanks, gneill,
I plugged in the value for 1 AU and got 36161.5 or 36.162 km/s. I was obviously hasty in concluding that the human race was doomed, based on the value for the farthest distance - especially since the question should have read 'impact the asteroid at at least 40km/s': something I missed when translating the question from the language I'm studying in.

1. What is the speed of the asteroid?

The speed of an asteroid can vary greatly depending on its size, distance from the sun, and proximity to other gravitational forces. However, on average, the speed of an asteroid can range from 12 to 70 kilometers per second.

2. How is the speed of an asteroid measured?

The speed of an asteroid is typically measured using a combination of telescopes and mathematical calculations. Astronomers use telescopes to track the movement of the asteroid over time and then use mathematical equations to determine its speed.

3. What factors affect the speed of an asteroid?

The speed of an asteroid can be affected by a variety of factors, including its size, distance from the sun, and proximity to other objects with gravitational pull. Other factors such as collisions with other objects or changes in the asteroid’s orbit can also impact its speed.

4. How does the speed of an asteroid impact its potential danger to Earth?

The speed of an asteroid can greatly impact its potential danger to Earth. A faster-moving asteroid has a greater kinetic energy, which means it can cause more damage upon impact. However, the size and composition of the asteroid also play a crucial role in determining its potential danger.

5. Can the speed of an asteroid be changed?

Yes, the speed of an asteroid can be changed through various factors such as collisions, gravitational pulls from other objects, or even human intervention through spacecraft missions. However, changing the speed of an asteroid can be a complex and challenging task.

Back