Get Help Solving Questions on Octane, Pressure, and Density | Expert Tips"

• Thread starter jai6638
  • Start date
In summary, To find the melting point of octane in kelvins, we use the fact that the boiling point of octane is 126 Celcius and it is a liquid over a range of 183 celcius degrees. Therefore, the melting point must be 183 degrees lower than the boiling point, giving us a melting point of -57 Celcius. To convert this to kelvins, we simply add 273 to get a melting point of 216 Kelvin.
jai6638
The following are questions from my test which i got wrong.. need help solving them :

q1) Octane, a substance found in petroleum, boils at 126 Celcius and is a liquid over a range of 183 celcius degrees. What is the melting point of octane in kelvins?

I subtracted ( 183 - 126 ) and got 57 degrees celcius as my answer.. and converted that into K.. however, checked the answer and I am supposedly supposed ot get -57 and convert that to K... anyone know how to answer this question ? thanks

q2) A 75 kg solid cylinder, 2.5 m long and with an end radius of 5 cm, stands on one end. How much pressure does it exert?

I first found the area of the cylinder by adding AREA OF THE CIRCLE + AREA OF RECTANGLE and got 2.57x10^-1 m^2 ...

I used eq = P = f/a ..
p = 75x9.8/ 2.57x10^-1 = 2.85x10^3 PA..

however, it turns out that this isn't correect for some reason... can anyone please temme why?

q3) A metal object is suspended from a spring scale. The scale reads 920 N when the object is suspended in air and 750 N when the object is completely submerged in water ( density = 1000 kg/m^3)

A) Find the volume of the object
B) Find the density of the metal

for A, i used the equation Fb= pVg but turns out that the answer i got was wrong
For B, i used p=fB/VG...

Q4) How do i convert g/cm3 to kg/m3?

thanks much

Physics news on Phys.org
jai6638 said:
The following are questions from my test which i got wrong.. need help solving them :

q1) Octane, a substance found in petroleum, boils at 126 Celcius and is a liquid over a range of 183 celcius degrees. What is the melting point of octane in kelvins?

I subtracted ( 183 - 126 ) and got 57 degrees celcius as my answer.. and converted that into K.. however, checked the answer and I am supposedly supposed ot get -57 and convert that to K... anyone know how to answer this question ? thanks

Okay.Think of it this way:imagine a temperatura scale in degrees Celsius.The liquid state is marked by two points on this scale:the melting point (the lower one) and the boiling point (the upper one).Between these temps.the substance is in liquid state.
In your problem,u're given the boiling point (the upper limit of the interval) and the length of the interval.If the length is 183 and the upper limit is 126,what is the lower limit??

6638 said:
q2) A 75 kg solid cylinder, 2.5 m long and with an end radius of 5 cm, stands on one end. How much pressure does it exert?

I first found the area of the cylinder by adding AREA OF THE CIRCLE + AREA OF RECTANGLE and got 2.57x10^-1 m^2 ...

I used eq = P = f/a ..

however, it turns out that this isn't correect for some reason... can anyone please temme why?

What rectangle are u talking about??The circle has no area...It has only length...

jai6638 said:
q3) A metal object is suspended from a spring scale. The scale reads 920 N when the object is suspended in air and 750 N when the object is completely submerged in water ( density = 1000 kg/m^3)

for A, i used the equation Fb= pVg but turns out that the answer i got was wrong
For B, i used p=fB/VG...

How about applying the principles of dynamics??Make a vector diagram,write the second law for the 2 situations and draw conclusions...

jai6638 said:

How about appying the definition??

Daniel.

\Okay.Think of it this way:imagine a temperatura scale in degrees Celsius.The liquid state is marked by two points on this scale:the melting point (the lower one) and the boiling point (the upper one).Between these temps.the substance is in liquid state.
In your problem,u're given the boiling point (the upper limit of the interval) and the length of the interval.If the length is 183 and the upper limit is 126,what is the lower limit

how can the length be 183 degrees celcius?? how is it possible? also, to find lower limit then, wouldn't i just subtract ( 183 - 126) same thing what i did... how is it -57?? sorry am confused..

What rectangle are u talking about??The circle has no area...It has only length...

stupid me :(.. don't know where i got the rectangle stuck in my head... so basically i should have just used the formula for area of a circle , i.e. , pi (r)2 right?

How about applying the principles of dynamics??Make a vector diagram,write the second law for the 2 situations and draw conclusions

what is the second law?

How about appying the definition??

well i was doing this

1gm/cm3 x (1/1000 / 1/10000) = which would equal 100 kg/m3...

is that correct?

thanks much for ur help

jai6638 said:
what is the second law?

Newtons second law, aka 'the' second law:

[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex]

or for constant masses the derivative to mass vanishes and what remains is:

[tex]\vec{F}=m\frac{\vec{v}}{dt}=m\vec{a}[/tex]

havent learned f=dp/dt... have learned f=ma... though, don't see how i could use that for the above question..

jai6638 said:

Octane undergoes the transition from gas -> liquid -> solid. You're given the boiling point value (the temperature for the 1st transition). You're know that the second value is 183 degrees lower. So what is the second transition point (melting point) ? (hint : you're subtracting the wrong way around).

I assume you know how to convert to Kelvin after that.

I used eq = P = f/a ..

Bad question. Pressure exerted on what ?

Assuming the cylinder is standing on its end on a flat surface, and they're asking for the pressure on the surface, why are you adding the area of the 'rectangle' ? You got the force right (the weight) but shouldn't the area be only the area of the end of the cylinder ?

For B, i used p=fB/VG...

Why is the apparent weight of a solid object lower when it is immersed in liquid ? What is Archimedes' principle ? What can you say about the volume of water displaced vs the volume of the metal object ?

Just work through the units carefully.

[tex]1 g/{cm}^3 = 10^{-3}kg/(10^{-2}m)^3 = 10^{-3}kg/(10^{-6}m^3) = 1000 kg/m^3[/tex]

What does "help needed to solve this" mean?

"Help needed to solve this" is a phrase commonly used when someone has encountered a problem or challenge and is seeking assistance from others to find a solution. It is often used in scientific or technical contexts.

Why is help needed to solve this?

Help may be needed to solve a problem for a variety of reasons. It could be that the person does not have enough knowledge or expertise in the subject area, or they may have exhausted all their own ideas and need fresh perspectives. It could also be a complex issue that requires collaboration and input from multiple people.

What should I do if someone asks for help to solve a problem?

If someone asks for help to solve a problem, the first thing you should do is listen to their explanation of the issue and try to understand it. Then, ask questions to clarify any confusion and gather more information. Offer your knowledge and expertise to contribute to finding a solution, but also be open to other ideas and approaches.

How can I effectively provide help to solve a problem?

To effectively provide help to solve a problem, it is important to actively listen and understand the issue at hand. Ask questions to gain more insight and offer your own knowledge and expertise in a respectful and collaborative manner. It is also important to be patient and open-minded, as finding a solution may take time and multiple attempts.

What are some strategies for solving complex problems?

Solving complex problems requires a systematic approach and may involve multiple strategies. Some strategies include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, collaborating with others, and utilizing resources and tools. It is also helpful to approach the problem from different perspectives and to consider potential solutions from different angles.