Archimedes's Principle Question

• Thread starter Physics Dad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, there was a conversation about calculating the additional distance a cylindrical buoy would sink when a 70kg man stands on top of it, with various calculations being done to arrive at an answer of 0.117m. However, the textbook claims the answer should be 0.177m, leading to confusion about whether the book is wrong or if there is an error in the calculations.
Physics Dad
Hi,

I have an issue with a question I am trying to answer and I don't seem to be getting the correct answer...

Question
A 950kg cylindrical can buoy floats vertically in sea water, the diameter of the buoy is 0.860m. Calculate the additional distance the buoy will sink when a 70kg man stands on top of it.

Attempt
OK, so I know that for a floating object, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the object, so calculating for just the cylinder on its own...

Density of sea water (ρ) = 1030kg⋅m-3
Surface area of cylinder (A) = πr2=π(0.860/2)2=0.581m2

Weight of cylinder (Wc) = 950kg⋅9.8ms-2=9310N
Fb=ρVg=ρAhg=Wc=9310N
9310N=1030kg⋅m-3⋅9.8m⋅s-2⋅0.581m2⋅h
9310N=5865kg⋅ms-3⋅h

rearranging for h
h=9310N/5865kg.ms-3
h=1.59m

So that should mean that 1.59m of the cylinder is submerged in water when it is just the cylinder.

Then I can do exactly the same again, with the additional 70kg on top of the cylinder...

Weight of cylinder and man (Wcm) = (70kg + 950kg)⋅9.8ms-2=9996N
Fb=ρVg=ρAhg=Wcm=9996N
9996N=1030kg⋅m-3⋅9.8m⋅s-2⋅0.581m2⋅h
9996N=5865kg⋅ms-3⋅h

rearranging for h
h=9996N/5865kg.ms-3
h=1.70m

So now I can just calculate Δh = 1.70m - 1.59m = 0.117m (calculated using non rounded figures)

I know I could have saved a lot of working out and just done the the calculations for 70kg only, neglecting the cylinder and got the same answer.

According to my textbook, the answer to this question is 0.177m

Have I done something stupid here (which is entirely plausible)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about the additional weight of the cylinder, if it sinks by ##0.117## cm?
(I've forgotten it, too, the first time I did the math and wondered, why the book's answer is an equivalent of ##103## kg.)

##\frac{70 kg}{1030 kg*m^{-3}}= 0.068 m^3##

You do the rest. How far does the buoy have to sink to displace that volume of water?

The initial weight and depth of the buoy are not needed for this problem.

Likes billy_joule
Thanks guys,

Anorlunda, if I calculate the displacement of the cylinder using the 0.068m3, I still get the answer of 0.117m.

(V/A=h)

I am sorry if you meant for me to look elsewhere here, but I still do not see why the answer I am getting is 0.117m and the textbook says the answer is 0.177m.

Fresh 42, are you saying that the book is wrong or am I just missing something?

Thanks again.

Physics Dad said:
I am sorry if you meant for me to look elsewhere here, but I still do not see why the answer I am getting is 0.117m and the textbook says the answer is 0.177m.

Then we do not understand what your question is. Try rephrasing it. What are you asking?

Sorry, what I am asking is do I have the right answer (0.117m) and the textbook is wrong (0.177m) or am I making a mistake somewhere in my calculations?

Physics Dad said:
Sorry, what I am asking is do I have the right answer (0.117m) and the textbook is wrong (0.177m) or am I making a mistake somewhere in my calculations?

No, I apologize. I thought your answer and the book's answer were the same.

I believe that the book is wrong, probably a single character typo.

Physics Dad said:
Fresh 42, are you saying that the book is wrong or am I just missing something?
I calculated ##11.7## cm as well and first thought the mistake is, not to take the part of the cylinder's mass into account, that is newly under water. A desperate try to make any sense of the ##950## kg given, and a wrong one.
anorlunda said:
That's what I think, too.

Thank you both very much, I have never had an issue with the Sears and Zemansky University Physics book before but have lots of problems with their Mastering Physics website. Was hoping I could trust the book!

At least I know I had the right idea.

Thanks again!

anorlunda said:
No, I apologize. I thought your answer and the book's answer were the same.

Very likely. When a letter occurs twice consecutively in a word, typing the wrong letter twice is very common. Probably applies to digits too.

Related to Archimedes's Principle Question

What is Archimedes's Principle?

Archimedes's Principle states that the upward buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

Who discovered Archimedes's Principle?

Archimedes's Principle was discovered by the Greek mathematician and scientist, Archimedes, in the 3rd century BC.

How is Archimedes's Principle used in everyday life?

Archimedes's Principle is used in everyday life in various ways, such as determining the buoyancy of ships and submarines, designing hot air balloons and submarines, and understanding the floating and sinking of objects in water.

What is the difference between Archimedes's Principle and the law of floatation?

The law of floatation is a specific application of Archimedes's Principle, stating that an object will float in a fluid if the weight of the object is less than the weight of the fluid it displaces. Archimedes's Principle, on the other hand, is a more general principle that applies to all objects immersed in a fluid, regardless of whether they float or sink.

Can Archimedes's Principle be applied to gases?

Yes, Archimedes's Principle can also be applied to gases. It states that the buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in a gas is equal to the weight of the gas that the object displaces.