Proving n2 - 19n + 89 is Not a Perfect Square for n>11

• Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving perfect squares and polynomials. The proof shows that for any value of n, n2 - 19n + 89 is not a perfect square. The proof is valid regardless of whether n is a perfect square or greater than 11. However, it is mentioned that the condition n>11 is not necessary for the proof to hold.
murshid_islam
hi, i have to prove that if n is a perfect square and n>11, then n2 - 19n + 89 is not a perfect square. i have came up with the following:

n>11
100 - 89 < 20n - 19n
-20n + 100 < -19n + 89
n2 - 20n + 100 < n2 - 19n + 89
(n-10)2 < n2 - 19n + 89......(1)

n>11
92 - 81 < 19n - 18n
-19n + 92 < -18n + 81
n2 - 19n + 92 < n2 - 18n + 81
n2 - 19n + 89 + 3 < (n-9)2
n2 - 19n + 89 < (n-9)2......(2)

combining (1) and (2), we get,
(n-10)2 < n2 - 19n + 89 < (n-9)2

since n2 - 19n + 89 is between two consecutive perfect squares, it cannot be a perfect square itself. (QED)

but my proof doesn't require n to be a perfect square (as stated in the problem). is the question wrong? or am i making some mistake in my proof?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
your proof seems correct to me

Indeed, you don't need the n> 11 either. n2- 19n+ 89 is not a perfect square number for any n because n2- 19n+ 89 is not a perfect square polynomial.

I'm not sure I get that, Halls.

x^2+9 is not a perfect square polynomial, yet when x=4, x^2+9=25. There are of course an infinite number of examples, I just wanted one where we evaluate x at a perfect square.

I don't understand Halls either and I don't understand how the op got from
n^2 - 19n + 89 + 3 < (n-9)^2
to
n^2 - 19n + 89 < (n-9)^2 ?

If a is less then b, is a-3 less than, more than, or equal to b?

less than b

by the way, please could you let me have a look at the maths questions you used to have ?

This polynomial is also a perfect square at n=11.

The "n a perfect square" isn't necessary with the n>11 condition. That doesn't make the question wrong, just uneccesarily weaker than it could have been. You could actually remove either condition (n a square or n>11) and it would still be correct.

roger said:
less than b

Now do you see how the above conlcusion was reached?

but what did Halls mean by :n2- 19n+ 89 is not a perfect square number for any n because n2- 19n+ 89 is not a perfect square polynomial

matt grime said:
Now do you see how the above conlcusion was reached?

yes but how would it be proven explicitly without using proof by contradiction ?

roger said:
yes but how would it be proven explicitly without using proof by contradiction ?

You agree

n^2 - 19n + 89 < n^2 - 19n + 89 + 3

right? So

n^2 - 19n + 89 + 3 < (n-9)^2

implies

n^2 - 19n + 89 < (n-9)^2

"<" is transitive, a<b and b<c implies a<c

shmoe said:
You could actually remove either condition (n a square or n>11) and it would still be correct.
i think if we remove the condition "n>11", then it wouldn't be correct.
because, then n2 - 19n + 89 can be perfect square for n = 11.
but we can remove the condition "n is a perfect square".

Last edited:
I don't understand it myself! Another case of shooting from the hip.

I'm tempted to go back and delete that post and pretend I never said any such thing!

murshid_islam said:
i think if we remove the condition "n>11", then it wouldn't be correct.
because, then n2 - 19n + 89 can be perfect square for n = 11.

I said as much above, but notice n=11 is not a perfect square. I said "either" condition, not "both". Maybe I should have specified that explicitly.

shmoe said:
I said "either" condition, not "both".
sorry, my mistake. you are absolutely right.

Related to Proving n2 - 19n + 89 is Not a Perfect Square for n>11

What is a mathematical proof?

A mathematical proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a mathematical statement. It involves using established axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to arrive at a conclusion.

How do I start writing a proof?

To start writing a proof, you should thoroughly understand the statement you are trying to prove. Then, identify the key concepts and relationships involved and determine which axioms, definitions, or theorems can be used to support your conclusion.

What are the key elements of a proof?

The key elements of a proof include stating the given information, defining any relevant terms, using logical reasoning to establish relationships between the given information and the desired conclusion, and clearly stating the conclusion.

How do I know if my proof is correct?

A proof is considered correct if it follows a logical progression and uses valid mathematical reasoning. You can also check your proof by re-reading it and making sure each step is clearly stated and supported by established mathematical principles.

Are there different types of proofs?

Yes, there are different types of proofs, such as direct proofs, indirect proofs, proof by contradiction, and proof by mathematical induction. Each type of proof may be more suitable for certain types of mathematical statements.