Need Help with Bioreactor Design? Check Out These Resources for Guidance

• Thread starter typop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of bioreactor design and the challenges of carrying out a chemical process involving organisms. The individual is seeking help and resources for understanding how to design a bioreactor and the importance of monitoring and controlling environmental conditions. Suggestions are made to search for cell, virus, and bacterial fermentors on websites of bioengineering companies.
typop
I have this project my supervisor wants me to carry out and I am ina dilema. I've been searching the net for how to go about it but to no avail. Please, if you have a link that might help me know how a Bioreactor is designed, could you please post it here. I will richly appreciate this.
Thanks.

NB: A bioreactor is a vessel in which is carried out a chemical process which involves organisms or biochemically active substances derived from such organisms. This process can either be aerobic or anaerobic. It is used by chemical engineers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am assuming that you have already seen this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioreactor

Bioreactor design is quite a complex engineering task. Under optimum conditions the microorganisms or cells are able to perform their desired function with great efficiency. The bioreactor's environmental conditions like gas (i.e., air, oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide) flowrates, temperature, pH and dissolved oxygen levels, and agitation speed/circulation rate need to be closely monitored and controlled.

Most industrial bioreactor manufacturers use vessels, sensors, controllers, and a control system, networked together for their bioreactor system, see programmable logic controller (PLC).

Perhaps if you get a bit more specific with what you are having problems with we can get on the right track. How big? What particular things does this design have to produce?

Like Fred said, that is a general description. The bioreactor is a fashionable name for a fermentor. You will get better results if you search for cell, virus, bacterial fermentors. Go to websites of Bioengineering, Sartorius, Bbruan and NBS etc.

1. What is a bioreactor?

A bioreactor is a vessel used to grow and maintain living organisms or cells in a controlled environment. It provides the necessary conditions for the growth of microorganisms, such as temperature, pH, and nutrient supply, to produce desired products such as proteins, enzymes, or pharmaceuticals.

2. What are the main components of a bioreactor?

The main components of a bioreactor include a vessel or tank to hold the culture, an agitator or stirrer to mix the culture, aeration system to supply oxygen, sensors to monitor and control parameters, and a control system to regulate the conditions inside the bioreactor.

3. What factors should be considered in bioreactor design?

Bioreactor design should consider factors such as the type of microorganism or cells to be cultured, the desired product, the scale of production, the required environmental conditions, and the type of bioreactor system (batch, fed-batch, or continuous).

4. How is bioreactor design optimized?

Bioreactor design can be optimized by considering the specific needs of the microorganism or cells, selecting appropriate vessel size and shape, optimizing agitation and aeration rates, and using advanced control strategies to maintain optimal environmental conditions. The use of computer simulations and modeling can also aid in bioreactor design optimization.

5. What are the applications of bioreactors?

Bioreactors have a wide range of applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, food and beverage, and environmental bioremediation. They are used for the production of various products, such as vaccines, enzymes, antibiotics, and biofuels. Bioreactors also play a crucial role in research and development of new products and processes.