Is the Bonding of LiAlH4 Ionic or Covalent?

• Thread starter ilovechemistry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonding
In summary, the bonding of LiAlH4 is complex, with both covalent and ionic bonding present. While the tetrahedrons within the molecule are covalently bonded, the Li+ ion will slightly polarize these entities, decreasing the strength of the ionic bonds. To accurately calculate the bonding, the VASP package and DOS-curve can be used. Additionally, there is a coordinate covalent bond between AlH3 and an H- ion, forming AlH4-. Overall, the bonding of LiAlH4 can be considered a combination of both covalent and ionic bonding.
ilovechemistry
hi guys, i need help on the bonding of LiAlH4. can it considered an ionic bonding because Li is Li+ and AlH4 is AlH4-. seems like a perfect ionic bonding situation to me. or is the bonding simply convalent, permanent-dipole permament-dipole attraction to be exact.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ilovechemistry said:
hi guys, i need help on the bonding of LiAlH4. can it considered an ionic bonding because Li is Li+ and AlH4 is AlH4-. seems like a perfect ionic bonding situation to me. or is the bonding simply convalent, permanent-dipole permament-dipole attraction to be exact.

The tetrahedrons are inside them selfs covalently bonded and the Li+ will polarazie these entites a litle decreasing the ionic bonding a little. To calculate use VASP package and study the DOS-curve.

alright thnx , i guess i'll sort out a way to figure it out!

there is an ionic bonding when you consider Li+ and AlH4-
but, AlH4- is itself a covalent anion. there are 3 Al-H covalent bonds in this molecule... but AlH3 still has a vacant sub-orbital... coordinate covalent bond occurs... an H- bonds with the AlH3 forming AlH4-

Likes Fuzzykatecake

1. What is LiAlH4 and what is its chemical structure?

LiAlH4, also known as lithium aluminium hydride, is a common reducing agent in organic chemistry. Its chemical structure consists of a lithium ion (Li+) bonded to an aluminium atom (Al) and four hydrogen atoms (H), with a tetrahedral arrangement.

2. How does LiAlH4 bond with other molecules?

LiAlH4 bonds with other molecules through its hydride ion (H-), which acts as a nucleophile and attacks the electrophilic center of the molecule being reduced. This results in a transfer of electrons and the formation of a new bond.

3. Can LiAlH4 be used as a reagent in aqueous solutions?

No, LiAlH4 is extremely reactive and can react violently with water to produce highly flammable hydrogen gas. Therefore, it should only be used in non-aqueous solvents.

4. What are the safety precautions when handling LiAlH4?

LiAlH4 should only be handled by trained professionals in a well-ventilated fume hood, as it can release toxic fumes. It should be stored in a dry, air-tight container and kept away from moisture and sources of heat or ignition. Proper personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, should be worn at all times.

5. What are some common applications of LiAlH4 in organic synthesis?

LiAlH4 is commonly used as a reducing agent to convert carbonyl compounds, such as aldehydes and ketones, into alcohols. It can also reduce carboxylic acids to alcohols, and esters to aldehydes. Additionally, it is used in the reduction of nitriles and nitro compounds to their corresponding amines.