1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help polynomial

1. Apr 1, 2004 #1
    if p(x ) = x^6 + x^4 + x^2 + 1

show that the solutions of the equation p(x ) = 0 are among the solutions of the equation x^8 - 1 = 0

hence factorse p(x ) fully over R

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you factorize x^8 - 1?

4. Apr 1, 2004 #3
    no, but you can factorise p(x ) = x^6 + x^4 + x^2 + 1.

although i have not got time and resources to do it, im in a physics lesson.

and why do you use p(x)= ? i always thaught it was supposed to be f(x)=. although it doesnt matter

5. Apr 1, 2004 #4
  6. Apr 1, 2004 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, you can factorize x^8-1, and it's because you can do that easily that you can factorize p(x) {p is just a label, it doesn' mean anything, Rattis, if you were taught always to use f how did you cope if there was more than one object to label?}. You don't need any (extra special) resources, you can do it in your head.

7. Apr 1, 2004 #6
    yeah i think so x^8-1 = (x-1)(x^6+x^5+x^4+x^3+x^2+x+1)

but it seems useless

and thx chen thats a good way solve it, but i was asked to solve hence by x^8-1

8. Apr 1, 2004 #7
    You can factorize [tex]x^8 - 1[/tex] easily using [tex]a^2 - b^2 = (a + b)(a - b)[/tex] repeatedly.

9. Apr 1, 2004 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But you can factorize it more than that.

Hint

let y=x^2, factorize y^4 - 1 as (y-1)(1+y+y^2+y^3), which you know. now put the x back in, what do you get? This is just saying that 1 and -1 are roots of x^8-1, and we factor them out to get...

10. Apr 1, 2004 #9
    It's just:
    [tex]x^8 - 1 = (x^4 - 1)(x^4 + 1) = (x^2 - 1)(x^2 + 1)(x^4 + 1) = 0[/tex]
    And since p(x) can be factorized to:
    [tex]p_{(x)} = x^6 + x^4 + x^2 + 1 = (x^2 + 1)(x^4 + 1) = 0[/tex]

11. Apr 1, 2004 #10
    wow surpised how came i never thinked abt that? ~~~

12. Apr 2, 2004 #11
    resources as in time, and the fact that the teacher dosent notice me

13. Apr 2, 2004 #12
    Actually, it is f(x), where f stands for function and the number inside your parenthesis (or x in this case) is the variable that the function is operating on.

Paden Roder

14. Apr 3, 2004 #13
    PRodQuanta, are you saying that it's wrong to use other letters than f to indicate a function...?

15. Apr 3, 2004 #14

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, I've gto f(x) =sin(x), and I want another function to equal cos(x), and I must call that f as well must I?

16. Apr 3, 2004 #15
    doesnt matter i guess, just incdicate group/function 01 =f(x) group/function 02 = g(x)

17. Apr 3, 2004 #16
    Can you please define the derivative of the product of two different functions using f(x) alone?

18. Apr 3, 2004 #17
    Hey, that's just what I have been taught. It must be wrong then. Sorry.

Paden Roder

19. Apr 3, 2004 #18
    Yeah, it's pretty wrong, considering there are functions like sin(x), det(A), log(x) and *gasp* [tex]\phi(n)[/tex]. ;)

20. Apr 3, 2004 #19

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you don't see the sneaky way to factor it, the most straightforward approach is to just compute the 8 roots of x8-1 and then plug them all into 1 + x2 + x4 + x6.

21. Apr 3, 2004 #20

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or sum a gp.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?