Help Prove Lim x-infinity cos(nx) = dne

• Thread starter bluemax43
  • Start date
In summary, the limit of cos(nx) as x approaches negative infinity does not exist. This can be proven by choosing two sequences, (x_{n})_{n} and (y_{n})_{n}, such that lim x_{n} = infinity and lim y_{n} = infinity as n tends to infinity. By showing that lim f(x_{n}) ≠ lim f(y_{n}), it can be concluded that the limit does not exist. This can be seen by choosing cos(2πn) and any other sequence, and noting that the limit of the first sequence goes to 1 while the limit of the second sequence goes to a different number. Therefore, the limit of cos(nx) as x approaches negative
bluemax43
Help! Prove Lim x--infinity cos(nx) = dne

Hey guys! I am new here however, I have been lurking around for a while. I need some help with a problem that I am currently working on. Here it is:

Homework Statement

Prove Lim x--infinity cos(nx) = does not exist

The Attempt at a Solution

As of now, I am not quite sure how to approach the problem. I know that I can say that if x is a multiple of 2π then it will converge to 1 however, if it is not a multiple of 2π then it will simply oscillate until infinity. As such, the limit does not exist. However, I doubt that that is what is required of the problem. I am thinking that there must be some systematic setup that I can use to prove this problem otherwise. Is there such a way or is my reasoning correct?

In our other problems, we used epsilon-delta proofs to prove that certain functions converged to p.

Anythings would help! Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org

This reminds of a problem I had to do recently. Here are my thoughts:
Pick 2 sequences (x[itex]_{n}[/itex])[itex]_{n}[/itex] and (y[itex]_{n}[/itex])[itex]_{n}[/itex] such that lim x[itex]_{n}[/itex] = infinity as n tends to infinity and lim y[itex]_{n}[/itex] = infinity as n tends to infinity. Then show that lim f(x[itex]_{n}[/itex]) ≠ lim f(y[itex]_{n}[/itex]), therefore the limit does not exist.

frenchkiki said:
This reminds of a problem I had to do recently. Here are my thoughts:
Pick 2 sequences (x[itex]_{n}[/itex])[itex]_{n}[/itex] and (y[itex]_{n}[/itex])[itex]_{n}[/itex] such that lim x[itex]_{n}[/itex] = infinity as n tends to infinity and lim y[itex]_{n}[/itex] = infinity as n tends to infinity. Then show that lim f(x[itex]_{n}[/itex]) ≠ lim f(y[itex]_{n}[/itex]), therefore the limit does not exist.

So if I understand your statement correctly, I should choose for example cos(2πn) and show that that the limit goes to 1 and then pick any other to show that it goes to some other number? So basically my reasoning was right?

bluemax43 said:
So if I understand your statement correctly, I should choose for example cos(2πn) and show that that the limit goes to 1 and then pick any other to show that it goes to some other number? So basically my reasoning was right?

Yes it is correct.

got it thanks!

1. What is the definition of "Help Prove Lim x-infinity cos(nx) = dne"?

The statement "Help Prove Lim x-infinity cos(nx) = dne" is a mathematical notation that represents the limit of the cosine function as x approaches infinity. It is asking for a proof that this limit does not exist.

2. What is the significance of this limit not existing?

The limit not existing means that the cosine function does not approach a specific value as x gets infinitely large. This can have implications in various mathematical and scientific applications where limits are used to make predictions or solve problems.

3. Is there a specific method for proving this limit does not exist?

Yes, there are several approaches that can be used to prove that the limit does not exist. One method is to show that the limit approaches different values depending on the direction in which x approaches infinity. Another method is to show that the function oscillates or has no defined limit as x gets larger.

4. Can this statement be proven using calculus?

Yes, calculus can be used to prove this statement. Specifically, techniques such as the squeeze theorem, epsilon-delta definition of a limit, and the definition of continuity can be applied to show that the limit does not exist.

5. How is proving this limit related to the concept of infinity?

The concept of infinity is essential in proving this limit. As x approaches infinity, the behavior of the cosine function becomes increasingly unpredictable and can lead to different outcomes. This highlights the idea that infinity is not a fixed number, and different functions can behave differently as x gets infinitely large.