1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Prove Lim x-infinity cos(nx) = dne

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    Help! Prove Lim x--infinity cos(nx) = dne

Hey guys! I am new here however, I have been lurking around for a while. I need some help with a problem that I am currently working on. Here it is:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove Lim x--infinity cos(nx) = does not exist

3. The attempt at a solution

As of now, I am not quite sure how to approach the problem. I know that I can say that if x is a multiple of 2π then it will converge to 1 however, if it is not a multiple of 2π then it will simply oscillate until infinity. As such, the limit does not exist. However, I doubt that that is what is required of the problem. I am thinking that there must be some systematic setup that I can use to prove this problem otherwise. Is there such a way or is my reasoning correct?

In our other problems, we used epsilon-delta proofs to prove that certain functions converged to p.

Anythings would help! Thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2
    Re: Help! Prove Lim x--infinity cos(nx) = dne

This reminds of a problem I had to do recently. Here are my thoughts:
    Pick 2 sequences (x[itex]_{n}[/itex])[itex]_{n}[/itex] and (y[itex]_{n}[/itex])[itex]_{n}[/itex] such that lim x[itex]_{n}[/itex] = infinity as n tends to infinity and lim y[itex]_{n}[/itex] = infinity as n tends to infinity. Then show that lim f(x[itex]_{n}[/itex]) ≠ lim f(y[itex]_{n}[/itex]), therefore the limit does not exist.

4. Nov 15, 2011 #3

So if I understand your statement correctly, I should choose for example cos(2πn) and show that that the limit goes to 1 and then pick any other to show that it goes to some other number? So basically my reasoning was right?

5. Nov 15, 2011 #4

Yes it is correct.

6. Nov 15, 2011 #5

got it thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook