1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help prove the limit of x^n/n! = 0

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    lim x^n/n! = 0 for all x
    n->∞

2. Relevant equations
    No equations, but I am currently in Calculus II in my first semester here at my University. Please help me prove why this limit is true!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to use natural logarithms and L'Hospital's rule, but I don't know if I can derive (n!). Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Do you know that the factorial function grows faster than any x^n?

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    Yeah I do know this, but I am not sure how to prove it.

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Have you seen series?? Can you show that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

converges?

6. Sep 26, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assume x > 0. We then have
    [tex] \log\left(\frac{x^n}{n!}\right) = n \log(x) - \log(1) - \log(2) - \cdots - \log(n).[/tex]
    Try to bound the sum of the logs. (Hint: compare log(j) with the integral of log(x) over [j-1,j] or [j,j+1], whichever one gives you what you need.)

RGV

7. Sep 26, 2012 #6
    To be honest I really don't know what that means. In high school our teacher didn't worry about that kind of sigma notation because it wasn't on the AP test. So I kind of understand it after reading into it myself, but it was never anything that got set into my mind.

I think I know what you mean. I'm going to try this out tomorrow. But thanks guys.

8. Sep 26, 2012 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Fun fact :

[tex]e^x = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

9. Sep 26, 2012 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can also use the fact that for 0 < x < N, and n > N we have
    [tex]0 < \frac{x^n}{n!} < \frac{N^n}{n!}
    = \frac{N^N}{N!} \frac{N}{N+1} \frac{N}{N+2} \cdots \frac{N}{n}. [/tex]
    For any r in (0,1) we have
    [tex] \frac{N}{N+1} \frac{N}{N+2} \cdots \frac{N}{n} < r^{n-N} [/tex] for all n sufficiently large (why?) so the desired result follows for any x.

RGV

10. Sep 27, 2012 #9

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Choose any fixed [itex]x[/itex]. If [itex]a_n = x^n / n![/itex], then
    [tex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right| = \left| \frac{x^{n+1} n!}{x^n (n+1)!}\right| = \frac{|x|}{n+1}[/tex]
    which is arbitrarily small if [itex]n[/itex] is large enough. In particular, if I choose [itex]r[/itex] with [itex]0 < r < 1[/itex], then for sufficiently large [itex]n[/itex], say [itex]n \geq N[/itex], we have [itex]|a_{n+1}/a_{n}| < r[/itex]. What can you conclude?

11. Sep 27, 2012 #10
    This explanation actually helped a lot. Thanks so much to you and the others that tried helping

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook