• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Help prove the limit of x^n/n! = 0

• Thread starter dwelch5
  • Start date

Homework Statement

lim x^n/n! = 0 for all x
n->∞

Homework Equations

No equations, but I am currently in Calculus II in my first semester here at my University. Please help me prove why this limit is true!

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to use natural logarithms and L'Hospital's rule, but I don't know if I can derive (n!). Any ideas?

Answers and Replies

Zondrina
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

lim x^n/n! = 0 for all x
n->∞

Homework Equations

No equations, but I am currently in Calculus II in my first semester here at my University. Please help me prove why this limit is true!

I've tried to use natural logarithms and L'Hospital's rule, but I don't know if I can derive (n!). Any ideas?
Do you know that the factorial function grows faster than any x^n?

Do you know that the factorial function grows faster than any x^n?
Yeah I do know this, but I am not sure how to prove it.

Homework Statement

lim x^n/n! = 0 for all x
n->∞

Homework Equations

Have you seen series?? Can you show that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

converges?

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Yeah I do know this, but I am not sure how to prove it.
Assume x > 0. We then have
[tex] \log\left(\frac{x^n}{n!}\right) = n \log(x) - \log(1) - \log(2) - \cdots - \log(n).[/tex]
Try to bound the sum of the logs. (Hint: compare log(j) with the integral of log(x) over [j-1,j] or [j,j+1], whichever one gives you what you need.)

RGV

Have you seen series?? Can you show that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

converges?
To be honest I really don't know what that means. In high school our teacher didn't worry about that kind of sigma notation because it wasn't on the AP test. So I kind of understand it after reading into it myself, but it was never anything that got set into my mind.

Assume x > 0. We then have
[tex] \log\left(\frac{x^n}{n!}\right) = n \log(x) - \log(1) - \log(2) - \cdots - \log(n).[/tex]
Try to bound the sum of the logs. (Hint: compare log(j) with the integral of log(x) over [j-1,j] or [j,j+1], whichever one gives you what you need.)

RGV
I think I know what you mean. I'm going to try this out tomorrow. But thanks guys.

Zondrina
Homework Helper
Fun fact :

[tex]e^x = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

lim x^n/n! = 0 for all x
n->∞

Homework Equations

You can also use the fact that for 0 < x < N, and n > N we have
[tex]0 < \frac{x^n}{n!} < \frac{N^n}{n!}
= \frac{N^N}{N!} \frac{N}{N+1} \frac{N}{N+2} \cdots \frac{N}{n}. [/tex]
For any r in (0,1) we have
[tex] \frac{N}{N+1} \frac{N}{N+2} \cdots \frac{N}{n} < r^{n-N} [/tex] for all n sufficiently large (why?) so the desired result follows for any x.

RGV

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Choose any fixed [itex]x[/itex]. If [itex]a_n = x^n / n![/itex], then
[tex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right| = \left| \frac{x^{n+1} n!}{x^n (n+1)!}\right| = \frac{|x|}{n+1}[/tex]
which is arbitrarily small if [itex]n[/itex] is large enough. In particular, if I choose [itex]r[/itex] with [itex]0 < r < 1[/itex], then for sufficiently large [itex]n[/itex], say [itex]n \geq N[/itex], we have [itex]|a_{n+1}/a_{n}| < r[/itex]. What can you conclude?

You can also use the fact that for 0 < x < N, and n > N we have
[tex]0 < \frac{x^n}{n!} < \frac{N^n}{n!}
= \frac{N^N}{N!} \frac{N}{N+1} \frac{N}{N+2} \cdots \frac{N}{n}. [/tex]
For any r in (0,1) we have
[tex] \frac{N}{N+1} \frac{N}{N+2} \cdots \frac{N}{n} < r^{n-N} [/tex] for all n sufficiently large (why?) so the desired result follows for any x.

RGV
This explanation actually helped a lot. Thanks so much to you and the others that tried helping