Help prove the limit of x^n/n = 0

• Thread starter dwelch5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit for x^n/n! is true for all x if n is large enough, and series converge if x > 0.
dwelch5

Homework Statement

lim x^n/n! = 0 for all x
n->∞

Homework Equations

No equations, but I am currently in Calculus II in my first semester here at my University. Please help me prove why this limit is true!

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to use natural logarithms and L'Hospital's rule, but I don't know if I can derive (n!). Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwelch5 said:

Homework Statement

lim x^n/n! = 0 for all x
n->∞

Homework Equations

No equations, but I am currently in Calculus II in my first semester here at my University. Please help me prove why this limit is true!

I've tried to use natural logarithms and L'Hospital's rule, but I don't know if I can derive (n!). Any ideas?

Do you know that the factorial function grows faster than any x^n?

Zondrina said:
Do you know that the factorial function grows faster than any x^n?

Yeah I do know this, but I am not sure how to prove it.

dwelch5 said:

Homework Statement

lim x^n/n! = 0 for all x
n->∞

Homework Equations

Have you seen series?? Can you show that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

converges?

dwelch5 said:
Yeah I do know this, but I am not sure how to prove it.

Assume x > 0. We then have
[tex] \log\left(\frac{x^n}{n!}\right) = n \log(x) - \log(1) - \log(2) - \cdots - \log(n).[/tex]
Try to bound the sum of the logs. (Hint: compare log(j) with the integral of log(x) over [j-1,j] or [j,j+1], whichever one gives you what you need.)

RGV

micromass said:
Have you seen series?? Can you show that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

converges?

To be honest I really don't know what that means. In high school our teacher didn't worry about that kind of sigma notation because it wasn't on the AP test. So I kind of understand it after reading into it myself, but it was never anything that got set into my mind.

Ray Vickson said:
Assume x > 0. We then have
[tex] \log\left(\frac{x^n}{n!}\right) = n \log(x) - \log(1) - \log(2) - \cdots - \log(n).[/tex]
Try to bound the sum of the logs. (Hint: compare log(j) with the integral of log(x) over [j-1,j] or [j,j+1], whichever one gives you what you need.)

RGV

I think I know what you mean. I'm going to try this out tomorrow. But thanks guys.

Fun fact :

[tex]e^x = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

dwelch5 said:

Homework Statement

lim x^n/n! = 0 for all x
n->∞

Homework Equations

You can also use the fact that for 0 < x < N, and n > N we have
[tex]0 < \frac{x^n}{n!} < \frac{N^n}{n!}
= \frac{N^N}{N!} \frac{N}{N+1} \frac{N}{N+2} \cdots \frac{N}{n}. [/tex]
For any r in (0,1) we have
[tex] \frac{N}{N+1} \frac{N}{N+2} \cdots \frac{N}{n} < r^{n-N} [/tex] for all n sufficiently large (why?) so the desired result follows for any x.

RGV

Choose any fixed [itex]x[/itex]. If [itex]a_n = x^n / n![/itex], then
[tex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right| = \left| \frac{x^{n+1} n!}{x^n (n+1)!}\right| = \frac{|x|}{n+1}[/tex]
which is arbitrarily small if [itex]n[/itex] is large enough. In particular, if I choose [itex]r[/itex] with [itex]0 < r < 1[/itex], then for sufficiently large [itex]n[/itex], say [itex]n \geq N[/itex], we have [itex]|a_{n+1}/a_{n}| < r[/itex]. What can you conclude?

Ray Vickson said:
You can also use the fact that for 0 < x < N, and n > N we have
[tex]0 < \frac{x^n}{n!} < \frac{N^n}{n!}
= \frac{N^N}{N!} \frac{N}{N+1} \frac{N}{N+2} \cdots \frac{N}{n}. [/tex]
For any r in (0,1) we have
[tex] \frac{N}{N+1} \frac{N}{N+2} \cdots \frac{N}{n} < r^{n-N} [/tex] for all n sufficiently large (why?) so the desired result follows for any x.

RGV

This explanation actually helped a lot. Thanks so much to you and the others that tried helping

1. What does the formula x^n/n represent?

The formula x^n/n represents the limit of a sequence where the numerator is the variable x raised to the power of n, and the denominator is n. In this case, n is approaching infinity.

2. How can we prove that the limit of x^n/n is equal to 0?

One way to prove this limit is by using the Squeeze Theorem. This theorem states that if a sequence is bounded between two other sequences, and the upper and lower sequences both converge to the same limit, then the middle sequence also converges to that limit. In this case, the middle sequence is x^n/n, and we can show that it is bounded between two sequences that both converge to 0.

3. Can you provide an example of x^n/n where the limit is 0?

Yes, let's take the example of x^2/2. As n approaches infinity, the numerator x^2 will continue to increase, but the denominator 2 will also increase at the same rate. This means that the ratio of x^2/2 will approach 0 as n approaches infinity, proving that the limit is 0.

4. Is the limit of x^n/n always equal to 0?

No, the limit of x^n/n is only equal to 0 when n is approaching infinity. If n is approaching any other finite number, the limit may be different. For example, if n is approaching 5, the limit of x^n/n would be 5 instead of 0.

5. What is the significance of proving the limit of x^n/n = 0?

The limit of x^n/n = 0 has many applications in calculus and other areas of mathematics. It is used to calculate the area under a curve, find the derivative of a function, and determine the convergence of series. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of functions as they approach infinity.