Can Weight Ratio Be Used to Solve Area Problems in Engineering?

• Thread starter maskerwsk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the cross-sectional area of a manufactured bi-metal tape. The tape has a domed part and the person is seeking help on how to calculate its area. They provide an image and details about the dimensions of the tape, but there is confusion about the numbers not adding up. They also mention that they were hoping for exact answers and provide a formula for the problem. Another person suggests a simpler approach to finding the area ratio of two pieces of the same material. The conversation ends with a clarification about the shape of the circular arc.
maskerwsk
Hi guys, hope I am posting in the correct place.

At work I am creating a excel spreadsheet that will work out the cross sectional areas of a manufactured bi metal tape'.
And i can't figure out the domed part.

ive uploaded an image of the shape that needs calculating.

any idea if it can be done or does it require more infomation?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 000001.pdf
    11.8 KB · Views: 210
Mathematics news on Phys.org
These are quite troubling problems. Are you expecting exact answers, or approximations?
Anyway, I believe I could flesh out the first problem because it does have enough information, but for the second, you've got the circular part labelled as 9.00, while the angle it makes at the end is 7o, but the "diameter" is 3.36.
How is it possible that the circular part is 9.00 (or is that counting the slanted edges as well?), but even so, if we made the slanted edges and circular part longer by turning the figure into a rectangle with length 3.36 and height 0.50, then all edges excluding the bottom will add to 4.36, which is much less than 9.00, so your numbers just don't add up.

i was hoping for exact answers.
im not sure why you think the numbers don't add up.

the tape is 3.36mm wide with an overall height of 0.50mm there is a taper of 7° (either side) and a radius of 9.00mm

we produce this tape at work millions of times aday and many others relativly similar.

if you could figure out the top problem that would be great as i could use that and subtract that area from a theoretical trapezoid (factoring out the radius of the tape)

hope that makes sense, I've uploaded another drawing if not :)

Attachments

• 00002.pdf
    14.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
So, just to make this clear:
The circular arc is a segment from a circle with a 9.00 mm radius?

arildno said:
So, just to make this clear:
The circular arc is a segment from a circle with a 9.00 mm radius?

exactly :)

First problem:
(W+h tan(θ))2+(R-h)2=R2
You can turn that into a quadratic in h and solve.
Second problem:
Consider one end of the curved part. Let X be its horizontal distance from the centre line and Y be its height above the base line.
X = W/2 -Y tan(θ)
R2 = X2 + (Y+R-H)2
From those, get a quadratic in X or Y and solve.
Let the angle the arc subtends at the centre of its circle be 2ψ.
Cos(ψ) = (Y+R-H)/R
Solve for ψ.
Area = ψR2-R2sin(ψ)cos(ψ)+2XY+Y2 tan(θ)

BTW:
I don't see why an engineer would bother with finding analytical formulae for arbitrary area shapes.
A much simpler approach in general would be to work out the area ratio of two pieces of the same material by calculating their weight ratio. By controlling the area of one of the pieces, you'll readily find the other.

1. What is an area problem?

An area problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the size or measurement of a two-dimensional space, such as the surface of a shape or the area of a region.

2. How do I solve an area problem?

To solve an area problem, you need to know the formula for finding the area of the specific shape or region involved. This formula will depend on the type of shape, such as a square, triangle, or circle. Once you have the formula, plug in the given measurements and solve for the area.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving area problems?

Some common mistakes when solving area problems include using the wrong formula, misinterpreting the given measurements, and forgetting to include units in the answer. It's important to carefully read the problem and double-check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can I practice solving area problems?

You can practice solving area problems by using online resources, such as math practice websites or apps. You can also create your own practice problems by drawing different shapes and finding their areas, or by using real-life scenarios, such as calculating the area of a room or garden.

5. What are some real-world applications of area problems?

Area problems have many practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and construction. They are also used in everyday life, such as calculating the area of a room for flooring or determining the amount of paint needed for a wall. Area problems are also important in agriculture, as they can help determine the amount of land needed for crops or livestock.