Help review for exam (last question)

In summary, the weight delivers energy to the water in its fall, and it takes energy to raise the 400 g of water 1 degree C.
fball558
Question is
Problem 7: Joule’s paddle wheel experiment consists of a falling weight which spins a
paddle-wheel in an insulated barrel of water. As the weight falls, the water warms up.
Assume idealized conditions with no friction in the pulley, string, and bearings. How
much does the temperature of the water change? Assume there is 0.4 kg of water, the
weight has m=100 kg and it falls 1 m. The specific heat capacity of water is 4.2 J/g/K.

here is a website to a pic of what a Joule's paddle wheel experment looks like.
has something to do with the energy from the weight moving the 1 m. this turns paddle making thermal energy but don't know how to find this or how it is related

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Joule's_Apparatus_(Harper's_Scan).png

A. 0.19 degrees
B. 0.29 degrees
C. 1.16 degrees
D. 0.58 degrees (correct answer)
E. – 3.6 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you determine how much energy (in Joules) the weight delivers to the water in its fall? How much heat energy (in Joules) does it take to raise the 400 g of water 1 degree C.?

AM

i know how to find the energy of the weight, but not the energy it takes to heat the water 1 degree C.

only formula i know is Cm(Tf - Ti) + Cm(Tf - Ti) = 0 but this is when you have 2 items at different temps and want to find equilibrum point in C.

the specific heat capacity is the energy it takes to heat one g of water by 1K by definition...

so...
4.2 is energy it takes to heat 1 g by 1k 1k = -272.15 C so rewrtie it as
4.2 is energy it takes to heat 1 g by -272.15 C ??
then divide by -272.15 to get energy need to heat 1g by 1 C ?? i get -.0154327
i have 400 g of water so X previous by 400 to get -6.173066 J ??
why is it negative? did i mess up somewhere?

K & degC differ in absolute magnitude by

T(K) = T(degC) + 273.15

but for a change in temp
dT = T1-T0
then

dT(K) = dT(degC)

so the difference in a temps is the same in Kelvin or Celsius

What topics will be covered on the exam?

The exam will cover all material discussed in class and in assigned readings. It is important to review all lectures, notes, and readings to ensure you are prepared for the exam.

How can I best prepare for the exam?

To prepare for the exam, make sure you attend all lectures and take detailed notes. Review your notes regularly and create study guides or flashcards to help you memorize important concepts. Practice with past exams or sample questions to get a sense of the types of questions that may be asked.

Will there be any essay questions on the exam?

This depends on the specific exam and the instructions given by your instructor. However, it is always a good idea to review key concepts and be able to explain them in your own words, as this will help you answer any potential essay questions.

Are there any specific resources or materials I should use to study?

In addition to lecture notes and assigned readings, you may want to use study guides, practice exams, or additional resources recommended by your instructor. You can also form study groups with classmates to review material and discuss key concepts.

What is the best way to manage my time during the exam?

Make sure you read all instructions carefully and allocate your time accordingly. Start with the questions you feel most confident about and budget your time to ensure you have enough time for each section. If you get stuck on a question, move on and come back to it later if you have time.