Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Sections

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1

aek

I reckon there should be areas in this site for self service aid, ie. some common formulas, some theory etc. It's not for myself, but i believe it may enhance the sites popularity and most importantly help to person in need...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see the point.If it's help,then people should ask for help.

There are plenty of websites with theory on physics & mathematics.This is a forum,after all.

Daniel.

4. Apr 2, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Such help sections are generally known as textbooks.
    Cramming a page at PF with formulas grabbed out of nowhere will not be of help at all for students who are uncertain about what the relevant physical principles are in the context of their particular problem.

5. Apr 2, 2005 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I don't think it would hurt. There certainly are other sites with that information, but it would be nice to have a quick reference on hand so that I don't, for example, have to write out the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution everytime somebody asks about it.

This is probably more work than it's worth, but it would be cool if there was some set of "auto-load" Latex formulae for common questions. This could theoretically be integrated with a formula reference section.

6. Apr 2, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not to mention that we have almost everywhere links to online reference:hyperphysics,mathworld,...

It would be really useless.

Daniel.

7. Apr 3, 2005 #6

aek

You specifically ASK for help. I've seen numerous amounts of times that the help is inaccurate or the person's answer is to vague, mind you, this is not all the time. Wouldn't it be MORE convenient IF everything was in one web address?

8. Apr 4, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's why it's called a FORUM (everyone is free to contribute to a thread) and that's why we have >18,000 members,because people are interested and not all of them are physicists and,of course,they can be wrong...

The answer to your last question is NO...

Daniel.

9. Apr 4, 2005 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think textbooks should be used for that purpose, the point of the forum is to help with understanding concepts presented in those.

There is a glossary under development on this forum, which can be found here https://www.physicsforums.com/glossaire.php everyone is free to contribute sections, after which they are reviewed and put online.

10. Apr 4, 2005 #9

aek

I don't think you have to be a physicist to answer most of the questions here buddy...I sound understanding is enough platform to help. And let me reiterate to you Daniel, it was an idea not an insult, so don't get all cocky about it.

AEK

11. Apr 4, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't take it as an insult,just not as an appropriate argument to sustain your claim.Everyone can be wrong.

Daniel.

12. Apr 4, 2005 #11

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is really an argument about preference here and I think you are being unnecessarily condescending to him. I still disagree that it wouldn't be useful, though I acknowledge that it would be a lot of work and may not be worth it. I would find it very convenient to have basic formulae in fields in which I'm not an expert immediately available on PF, rather than having to search my bookshelf or the web. Also, latex shortcuts for the formulae I do know would also be handy, as I said.

An alternative to constructing a database would be to construct a catalogued library of posts from respected PF members.

13. Apr 4, 2005 #12

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This idea came up a long time ago and it didn't go anywhere. Speaking for myself, I've never been a fan of the "crib sheet" method of learning or teaching. I think that it's the student's responsibility to find formulae. If he can't or won't do that, then he's got more problems than any PF member could help him with.

That's easy: You type it once, save the code in a document, and copy and paste it whenever you want to use it. That's what I do! :cool:

14. Apr 4, 2005 #13

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought the idea was to use it as a reference, not a learning tool... I use tabulated formulae and reference material all the time.

Yeah, I do that as well, but then I've always been a shortcut junkie, so I try to make things as quick as is humanly possible. It's why I love teh P3rl!

15. Apr 4, 2005 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do u really do that? :eek: What an idea!! :bugeye: I don't usually use "common formulae",so i don't have reasons for shortcuts and code usage of copy-paste...Maybe for a "+" or "-" i could do it,because i really use them really often,but naah,i'm good with fingers... :tongue2:

Daniel. (i even type the smilies)

16. Apr 4, 2005 #15

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do think it would be kind of cool to be able to put "schrodinger" between TeX tags and then *poof* the equation appears. But chroot can only do so much, and I'd REALLY like it if he could get us the ability to do Feynman diagrams. :biggrin:

17. Apr 4, 2005 #16

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, it's hilarious when you answer questions about projectile motion with stuff about the double slit experiment. :rofl:

18. Apr 4, 2005 #17

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does that have to do with formulas...?I remember that thread,yet i don't recall using any formulas,maybe you have (certainly you did).Ssssssst,i've seen him post in the string forum as well.~wink~

Daniel.

19. Apr 4, 2005 #18

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, you didn't use any, but I was just commenting on your usual treatment of simple questions. No offense intended, just fooling around. :wink:

I always find it interesting to see the advanced theory on the subject, even if the OP doesn't understand.

20. Apr 4, 2005 #19

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I use formulas only when i please...:wink: I treat simple questions how i please...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?