Help setting up a triple integral

In summary, Jack attempted to solve an integral that he was given and he was having difficulty with the bounds. He drew a diagram to help him and then stated that the lower bound on x would be x=0.
tatiana_eggs

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I need help setting up an integral.

Problem: Compute the integral f(x,y,z)=xyz over the solid region bounded below by plane z=-x, above by z=x, and otherwise b the parabolic cylinder x=2-y^2

This is not a surface integral, is it? Because the problems assigned to me before and after this question dealt with surface integrals.

Homework Equations

I'm going to assume it's not a surface integral. I can see clearly that my bounds for z will be between -x and x. I will hazard a guess that my y bounds might be sqrt(2-x) and -sqrt(2-x).

How can I figure out my x bounds algebraically. I have terrible 3-d intuition. I can draw a 3-d graph pretty well but it's hard for me to visualize it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm great at solving integrals once they're set up. Just need help with my bounds.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're integrating over the footprint:

[tex]x=2-y^2[/tex]

which I assume you want the volume in the first and fourth quadrant.

You can draw that simple sideways parabola easily. Now look at the figure and how would I have to integrate over all of it? You have the y direction right as it goes from [itex]-\sqrt{2-x}[/itex] up to [itex]\sqrt{2-x}[/itex]. Now, it's not hard to see what x would have to go from right?

Thank you for the reply, Jack, in my drawing I see that my bound for [tex]x[/tex] would start at [tex]x=2[/tex]. I want to say my lower bound is [tex]x=-2[/tex] because of where [tex]z=-x[/tex] crosses [tex]x=2-y^2[/tex]. Is that right?

I don't see how you would think the lower bound on x would be -2 unless you're attempting to compute the volume of something other than what I think it is. The two sheets z=x and z=-x intersect along the y-axis right? And the paraboloid x=2-y^2 is just the parabola x=2-y^2 that extends without bounds along the z-axis but I assume we want that bounded by the sheets z=x and z=-x. I don't know how to better explain it other than just drawing it and showing you. It's that green part in there right? If so, can you not then say what the range on x is?

Attachments

• 3dregion.jpg
    3dregion.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 383
Ah of course, 0 to 2 will be my x bounds. Thank you for the time you took to make the diagram. I see my mistake before. I redrew it with help from your picture and it is clear that my lower bound is x=0.

Try to learn how to quickly draw them by hand and then learn how to draw them in Mathematica to confirm your drawing:

Code:
c1 = ContourPlot3D[{z == x, z == -x, 
    x == 2 - y^2}, {x, -5, 5}, 
   {y, -5, 5}, {z, -5, 5}, 
   AspectRatio -> 4/3]

c2 = ContourPlot3D[{x == 2 - y^2}, 
   {x, -5, 5}, {y, -5, 5}, {z, -5, 5}, 
   AspectRatio -> 4/3, RegionFunction -> 
    Function[{x, y, z}, 0 <= x <= 2 && 
      z <= x && z >= -x], 
   ContourStyle -> Green]

Show[{c1, c2}]

1. What is a triple integral and when is it used?

A triple integral is a mathematical tool used in multivariable calculus to find the volume of a three-dimensional object or the mass of a three-dimensional solid. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate physical quantities such as center of mass, moment of inertia, and work done.

2. How do I set up a triple integral?

The process of setting up a triple integral involves breaking down a three-dimensional region into smaller, simpler shapes and then integrating over each of these shapes. This is usually done by identifying the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z), and then multiplying them together to form the triple integral.

3. What are the different types of triple integrals?

There are two main types of triple integrals: rectangular and cylindrical. Rectangular triple integrals are used for rectangular regions, and the limits of integration are constants for each variable. Cylindrical triple integrals are used for cylindrical regions, and the limits of integration involve variables such as radius and angle.

4. What are some common mistakes when setting up a triple integral?

Some common mistakes when setting up a triple integral include: forgetting to include all variables in the limits of integration, using the wrong order of integration, and forgetting to include any additional constants or factors in the integrand. It is important to carefully check the setup of the integral to avoid these errors.

5. How can I check if my triple integral is set up correctly?

One way to check if your triple integral is set up correctly is to visualize the region in question and make sure the limits of integration cover the entire region. Another way is to use the properties of integrals, such as linearity and symmetry, to simplify the integral and see if the result makes sense. It is also helpful to double-check the final answer by evaluating the integral using numerical methods or comparing it to a known solution.