1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Setting Up Equation To Find Curl of Navier-Stokes Equation

1. Aug 6, 2012 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm having trouble using equation 2.1 or 2.2 in the article to find the curl of the navier-stokes equation. I understand how to find curl, but can't make sense of the explanation/steps in the document provided by the professor.

2. Relevant equations
    All relavent equations are included in the two attachments.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really having trouble getting started. The document provided by my professor says to "First evaluate the '(Beta)yk X v' term, substitute that in (v is the vector discussed at the top)," but the equation at the top looks like a general equation, and I'm starting to get frustrated.

Any help/ideas/suggestions would really be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2012 #2
    All the equations in the attachments are broken beyond repair.

4. Aug 6, 2012 #3
    Yeah, sorry, use some LaTeX please. It'll be easier on everyone (well, except maybe you). Example:

[tex]\rho \left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} + v \cdot \nabla v \right) = - \nabla p + f + \overline T(\nabla)[/tex]

Is given by

Code (Text):
    [tex]\rho \left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} + v \cdot \nabla v \right) = - \nabla p + f + \overline T(\nabla)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook