1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help setting up integral

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is actually just a minor part of a larger problem - I need to find the potential energy of a string of mass m and length L that is hanging over the edge of a table.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If we define V = 0 at the level of the talbe, then the potential energy of a mass element dm below the able is given by V = -gydm where y is the height of dm below the table. But here I blank - how can I use this to find the total potential energy o hte cord?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about thinking in terms of a mass density [itex]\delta[/itex] so the potential of a string segment of length dy is -[itex]\delta[/itex]ydy and integrating with respect to y?

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    I'm not sure I follow

the liear mass density would be m/L assuming that it is uniform, but how can I turn that into the integral?

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For each segment dy of cable that is hanging over the edge a distance y it's potential is [itex]-\delta y\,dy[/itex]. You have to add all these up, which you do by integrating with appropriate y limits.

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5
    So we get:

[tex]\int_0^y(\frac{-mg}{L}y)dy = \frac{-mg}{2L}y^2[/tex]

Is that right, assuming that a length y is hanging over the edge?

The only problem is that I am not explicitly given L in the question, so I am not sure if I can use it. Is there a way to get the potential of a string of mass m hanging a distance y over the edge of a table without using the length? I can't think of anything.

7. Nov 16, 2009 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

y is the variable. You don't want it in the upper limit. If h is the length of the cable hanging over the edge your integral would go from 0 to h.

8. Nov 17, 2009 #7
    Alright - if you replace y by h in the above, is it correct? ^_^

9. Nov 17, 2009 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks OK to me.

10. Nov 17, 2009 #9

Now that it's done, I see you can get the same thing without the integral by using the centre of mass of the part of the cord that is hanging over the edge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook