Solving for Potential Energy of Hanging String: Integrals and Equations

• Thread starter KBriggs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the homework statement asks for the potential energy of a mass element dm below the edge of a table, given that y is the height of that element. If y is replaced by h, the potential energy can be found by using the centre of mass of the part of the cord that is hanging over the edge.
KBriggs

Homework Statement

This is actually just a minor part of a larger problem - I need to find the potential energy of a string of mass m and length L that is hanging over the edge of a table.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If we define V = 0 at the level of the talbe, then the potential energy of a mass element dm below the able is given by V = -gydm where y is the height of dm below the table. But here I blank - how can I use this to find the total potential energy o hte cord?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about thinking in terms of a mass density [itex]\delta[/itex] so the potential of a string segment of length dy is -[itex]\delta[/itex]ydy and integrating with respect to y?

I'm not sure I follow

the liear mass density would be m/L assuming that it is uniform, but how can I turn that into the integral?

KBriggs said:
I'm not sure I follow

the liear mass density would be m/L assuming that it is uniform, but how can I turn that into the integral?

For each segment dy of cable that is hanging over the edge a distance y it's potential is [itex]-\delta y\,dy[/itex]. You have to add all these up, which you do by integrating with appropriate y limits.

So we get:

[tex]\int_0^y(\frac{-mg}{L}y)dy = \frac{-mg}{2L}y^2[/tex]

Is that right, assuming that a length y is hanging over the edge?

The only problem is that I am not explicitly given L in the question, so I am not sure if I can use it. Is there a way to get the potential of a string of mass m hanging a distance y over the edge of a table without using the length? I can't think of anything.

y is the variable. You don't want it in the upper limit. If h is the length of the cable hanging over the edge your integral would go from 0 to h.

Alright - if you replace y by h in the above, is it correct? ^_^

It looks OK to me.

Now that it's done, I see you can get the same thing without the integral by using the centre of mass of the part of the cord that is hanging over the edge.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, when the object moves.

How is potential energy calculated for a hanging string?

The potential energy of a hanging string is calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground. This equation assumes that the string is in a vertical position and there is no friction or other external forces acting on the object.

What is the role of integrals in solving for potential energy of a hanging string?

Integrals are used to calculate the potential energy of a hanging string when the string is not in a vertical position. When the string is at an angle, the potential energy is calculated by taking the integral of the force of gravity over the displacement of the object. This takes into account the change in height as the object moves along the string.

What are the units of potential energy?

The SI unit of potential energy is joules (J). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as calories or electron volts (eV).

Are there any limitations to using integrals and equations to solve for potential energy of a hanging string?

Yes, there are some limitations. The equations used assume that the string is massless and inextensible, and that there is no air resistance or other external forces acting on the object. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true, leading to potential errors in the calculated potential energy.