Understanding Completeness Property Proof

• Thread starter A.MHF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the completeness property proof in Goldrei's Classic Set Theory. The main points of the conversation include the definition of a real number as a Dedekind left set, the requirement for a real number to not include all rationals, and a student's exercise in constructing a proof for this requirement. The conversation ends with minor corrections and clarifications on the exercise.
A.MHF

Homework Statement

I'm reading Goldrei's Classic Set Theory, and I'm kind of stuck in the completeness property proof, here is the page from googlebooks:

https://books.google.com/books?id=1dLn0knvZSsC&pg=PA14&lpg=PA14&dq="first+of+all,+as+a+is+non+empty"&source=bl&ots=6fwW7jd8i4&sig=txERO1ZYpOKkJ_SVdY82LNMs3io&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmxLn_wIbKAhVX-mMKHdPaCSkQ6AEIHzAA#v=onepage&q="first of all, as a is non empty"&f=false

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I guess I understand the first part regarding α=UA.

What I don't get is why are we trying to prove that UA≠ℚ? Also, what does he mean when he says: "As s∈ℝ there is some rational q such that q∉s", how is that possible? if s is a real number, it should include all rational numbers, right? Unless what's meant by that is that there is a rational q that's greater than s, and thus doesn't belong to s?

Physics news on Phys.org
A real number is defined as a Dedekind left set.
See the definition of a Dedekind left set on page 9 of the book: it has to be a proper subset of ℚ.

It follows that a real number does not include all rationals.

Samy_A said:
A real number is defined as a Dedekind left set.
See the definition of a Dedekind left set on page 9 of the book: it has to be a proper subset of ℚ.

It follows that a real number does not include all rationals.
Yeah that's what I meant when I said unless q is greater than the real number s,since it's a Dedekind left set, it won't include it. But still, why are we trying to prove that UA≠ℚ?

A.MHF said:
Yeah that's what I meant when I said unless q is greater than the real number s,since it's a Dedekind left set, it won't include it. But still, why are we trying to prove that UA≠ℚ?
Because that's by definition a requirement for a real number (as defined in the book). It may look self-evident that UA≠ℚ (as A is bounded above), but at this stage in the book all you know about real numbers are the definition and some very basic properties. The author uses these to show that UA≠ℚ: a requirement for UA to be a real number.

Likes A.MHF
Samy_A said:
Because that's by definition a requirement for a real number (as defined in the book). It may look self-evident that UA≠ℚ (as A is bounded above), but at this stage in the book all you know about real numbers are the definition and some very basic properties. The author uses these to show that UA≠ℚ: a requirement for UA to be a real number.

Thanks, that was helpful. Regarding the exercise (in the same page), I constructed this proof, what are your thoughts?
Assuming there was such a number s such that rs, for all r∈ℝ then since s∈ℝ, there is q such that q∉s.
Now suppose that p=q+1.
let q be the real number corresponding to q and p the real number corresponding to p.
q={x∈Q:x<q}
p={q∈Q:q<p}
now, q∉sqss⊆q (according to one of Dedekind's left set linear property)
Also qp (from their definitions)
s⊂q doesn't imply that s⊂p, therefore p≤s isn't satisfied and thus r≤s isn't satisfied as well.

A.MHF said:
Thanks, that was helpful. Regarding the exercise (in the same page), I constructed this proof, what are your thoughts?
Assuming there was such a number s such that rs, for all r∈ℝ then since s∈ℝ, there is q such that q∉s.
Now suppose that p=q+1.
let q be the real number corresponding to q and p the real number corresponding to p.
q={x∈Q:x<q}
p={q∈Q:q<p}
now, q∉sqss⊆q (according to one of Dedekind's left set linear property)
Also qp (from their definitions)
s⊂q doesn't imply that s⊂p, therefore p≤s isn't satisfied and thus r≤s isn't satisfied as well.
Yes, this is correct. You prove that p is a real number that doesn't satisfy ps, proving that ℝ has no upper bound.
A few minor remarks:
You should emphasize that ps.
There are some typo's in your post:
p={q∈Q:q<p} is confusing, as q has already been used. Better write p={x∈ℚ:x<p}.
And s⊂q does imply that s⊂p, not doesn't as you wrote.

Likes A.MHF
Samy_A said:
Yes, this is correct. You prove that p is a real number that doesn't satisfy ps, proving that ℝ has no upper bound.
A few minor remarks:
You should emphasize that ps.
There are some typo's in your post:
p={q∈Q:q<p} is confusing, as q has already been used. Better write p={x∈ℚ:x<p}.
And s⊂q does imply that s⊂p, not doesn't as you wrote.

Oh I see.
So I should define p=q+1 in which the corresponding real number is p={x<ℚ:x<p} such that p≠s.
And
s⊂q → s⊂p, thus we proved that there is a a real number p such that it's greater than q yet doesn't satisfy p≤s, therefore ℝ has no upper bound.

Likes Samy_A

1. What is a proof in science?

A proof in science is a logical and systematic explanation or demonstration of a hypothesis or theory. It involves using evidence and reasoning to support or refute a statement.

2. How can I understand a proof better?

To understand a proof better, it is helpful to break it down into smaller steps and make sure you understand each step before moving on to the next. It may also be helpful to consult outside resources or seek clarification from an expert.

3. Why are proofs important in science?

Proofs are important in science because they provide evidence and support for a particular theory or explanation. They allow scientists to verify the validity of their ideas and make informed conclusions based on evidence.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when understanding a proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when understanding a proof include not reading it carefully enough, overlooking important assumptions or definitions, and not fully understanding the logic or reasoning behind each step.

5. Can a proof be wrong?

Yes, a proof can be wrong. Even in science, where proofs are based on evidence and logical reasoning, there is always the possibility of error. This is why scientific theories are constantly tested and revised based on new evidence.