Help understanding Acceleration

In summary: So if you have an acceleration of 2 m/s2 for the first second, and then an acceleration of 4 m/s2 for the second second, the total acceleration for the entire duration of the problem would be 8 m/s2.
Pin Head
Hi,
I just want to make sure I understand acceleration

α = Δv / Δt
α = vf - vi / tf - ti
α = 8m - 0m / 4s - 0s
α = 8m / 4s
α = 2 m/s2

So I know it has a constant acceleration of 2 m/s2
what I want to know does this mean that the object will increase in acceleration for example
I have two diagrams I created, now when the car accelerates does this mean at 1 second it is 2m/s2 and at 2 seconds it is increase by 4 m/s2 and at 3 seconds it has increased to 6 m/s2 and at 4 seconds it has increase to 8 m/s2

Am I understanding this correctly help would be appreciated

Attachments

• acceleration1.jpg
    acceleration1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 394
  • acceleration.jpg
    acceleration.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 271
Physics news on Phys.org
Pin Head said:
Hi,
I just want to make sure I understand acceleration

α = Δv / Δt
α = vf - vi / tf - ti
α = 8m - 0m / 4s - 0s
α = 8m / 4s
α = 2 m/s2
Unit of v is m/s not m.

Pin Head said:
No, you don't know that. You computed the average acceleration based on initial and final velocity. You know nothing about how it changes in between.

Pin Head said:
what I want to know does this mean that the object will increase in acceleration
If the acceleration increases then it is not constant, as you claimed above.

Pin Head said:
what I want to know does this mean that the object will increase in acceleration for example
I have two diagrams I created, now when the car accelerates does this mean at 1 second it is 2m/s2 and at 2 seconds it is increase by 4 m/s2 and at 3 seconds it has increased to 6 m/s2 and at 4 seconds it has increase to 8 m/s2

Am I understanding this correctly help would be appreciated

Acceleration ([itex]m/s/s[/itex] OR [itex]m/s^2[/itex]) describes changes in velocity [itex]m/s[/itex]. If acceleration is constant in this scenario then velocity will be CHANGING at a constant rate. So at 1 second the velocity will be [itex]2 m/s[/itex] NOT [itex]2 m/s^2[/itex] (this would be acceleration) and at 2 seconds the velocity will be [itex]4 m/s[/itex] NOT [itex]4 m/s^2[/itex]. Hope that helps

It might help to think of 1 m/s^2 as "one meter per second per second", meaning that every second, the velocity changes by 1 m/s.

Think of driving a car at a constant speed, say 40 miles/hour. or 40 k/hour. Then you press the gas pedal, going faster and faster and faster. You are now accelerating. You then press the gas pedal even more, your speed increase more, your acceleration increases.
Usually in an actual problem in a text or homework you are given just one acceleration, you can assume its a constant, or average, acceleration. If you are given more than one acceleration value, you need the time that acceleration lasts to get a distance.

FAQ: Help understanding Acceleration

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, while acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while acceleration is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system. It can also be measured in terms of the change in velocity over time, such as meters per second per second (m/s/s).

What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration is when an object's velocity is increasing over time, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) is when an object's velocity is decreasing over time. This can also be described as speeding up (positive acceleration) or slowing down (negative acceleration).

How is acceleration related to force?

Acceleration is directly proportional to force, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. The relationship between force, mass, and acceleration can be described by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.