Help understanding an experiment set up

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date

dRic2

Gold Member
Hi, I'm reading a paper about combustion and I can't understand the composition of the inlet mixture. Here's what the paper says:

"A known flow rate of the isobutene (Matheson, TriGas, 99.5%) in nitrogen (General Air, 99.998%) was introduced into a 6mm ID quartz reactor that was heated in an electric furnace..."

I need to calculate the mole fraction of isbutene, O2, and N2 but I don't understand the above sentence. Any suggestion would be of great help!

PS. isobutene = isobutylene

PSS: I find very strange that in a combustion experiment is not mentioned the amount of O2 in the mixture... Maybe I'm overlooking something, but I didn't find anything else in the paper

PSS: I forgot an important part: there is a line that says "N2/iC4H8 = 50/50 % mol"

DrClaude

Mentor
Can you give the reference?

Lord Jestocost

Gold Member
2018 Award
I find very strange that in a combustion experiment is not mentioned the amount of O2 in the mixture... Maybe I'm overlooking something, but I didn't find anything else in the paper
Check whether the paper is about "combustion" or "pyrolysis".

dRic2

Gold Member
Check whether the paper is about "combustion" or "pyrolysis".
Oh, I'm an idiot...

It says pyrolysis so no O2 is needed, then I assume the inlet mixture is just 0.5 isobutene and 0.5 N2, right ?