1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help understanding the Voltage in a circuit.

1. Oct 22, 2015 #1
    What is voltage in a circuit? We just started learning about electricity in my school. From what I understand; potential is potential energy per Coulomb and voltage means difference in potential. So, if you have a battery with 4 voltage and a wire connecting the poles of the battery, does that mean electrons at the negative pole will have a potential energy of 4∗q, where q is the charge of the electron? And when the electrons have reached the positive pole, all the potential energy will have been transformed?

I have a feeling I'm not understanding this concept.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello guided one, welcome to PF :smile: !

For someone who is just being introduced to the subject, you are doing just fine ! And you choose your formulations carefully and -- as far as I can tell -- completely correct.

And a feeling of not completely understanding isn't all that bad. Nobody knows what an electron is, and no one has ever seen one :rolleyes: but we can describe the behaviour of electrons to an impressive degree of accuracy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook