Help Understanding What a Logarithm IS

• Thread starter Moonseed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, a logarithm is essentially an exponent. The logarithm base b is defined as y = logb(x) if x = by. When converting from an exponential to a logarithm, the y value is brought down and the x and y are switched. This relationship is known as the inverse of the exponential function.
Moonseed
I need help defining a logarithm.

My book simply says: A logarithm is an exponent.

This stumped me because I can't see how that is. I don't know what question to ask, but I might not be apprehending the relationship between an expo. function and a log. function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonseed said:
I need help defining a logarithm.

My book simply says: A logarithm is an exponent.

This stumped me because I can't see how that is. I don't know what question to ask, but I might not be apprehending the relationship between an expo. function and a log. function.

Well the logarithm base b is defined as

y = logb(x)

if

x = by

Notice that in the second equation y is the exponent, and in the first equation it is the logarithm, thus since these two equations are identical and express the exact same mathematical relationship it follows that a logarithm is essentially an exponent.

Thanks, that helped a lot.

I'm curious about why 'x' ended up where it is when the logarithm was converted to an exponential function or vice versa.

When converting from an exponential to a log (We'll use x=by as an example), you bring the y down. This bumps the b down into the base (Making it x=by). Then you switch the x and the y (Finishing the conversion to y=logbx). Did that make sense?

In technical terms, the logarithm is the "inverse" of the exponential function. That is, you swap the "x" and "y" values: if y= f(x) then x= f-1(y). As Ateowa said, if y= logax then x= ay.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given number. In other words, it is the inverse of exponentiation.

2. How is a logarithm written?

A logarithm is typically written as logb(x), where b is the base and x is the number being raised to the power.

3. What is the purpose of logarithms?

Logarithms are useful for simplifying complex mathematical calculations, especially in the fields of science and engineering. They also help in visualizing and understanding exponential growth and decay.

4. What is the relationship between logarithms and exponents?

Logarithms and exponents are inverse functions of each other. This means that if logb(x) = y, then by = x. In other words, logarithms and exponents "undo" each other.

5. How do logarithms work?

Logarithms essentially break down a number into its constituent parts. For example, log2(8) can be read as "what power do I need to raise 2 to in order to get 8?" The answer is 3, because 23 = 8. This makes it easier to understand and manipulate large numbers.