1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Understanding What a Logarithm IS

1. Jun 22, 2006 #1
    I need help defining a logarithm.

My book simply says: A logarithm is an exponent.

This stumped me because I can't see how that is. I don't know what question to ask, but I might not be apprehending the relationship between an expo. function and a log. function.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2006 #2
    Well the logarithm base b is defined as

y = logb(x)

if

x = by

Notice that in the second equation y is the exponent, and in the first equation it is the logarithm, thus since these two equations are identical and express the exact same mathematical relationship it follows that a logarithm is essentially an exponent.

4. Jun 22, 2006 #3
    Thanks, that helped a lot.

I'm curious about why 'x' ended up where it is when the logarithm was converted to an exponential function or vice versa.

5. Jun 22, 2006 #4
    When converting from an exponential to a log (We'll use x=by as an example), you bring the y down. This bumps the b down into the base (Making it x=by). Then you switch the x and the y (Finishing the conversion to y=logbx). Did that make sense?

6. Jun 22, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In technical terms, the logarithm is the "inverse" of the exponential function. That is, you swap the "x" and "y" values: if y= f(x) then x= f-1(y). As Ateowa said, if y= logax then x= ay.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?