Help using Cramer's rule to show properties of determinants

In summary, the conversation is about Cramer's rule and its application for finding determinants. The participants also discuss a set of linear equations and the concept of determinants being 0. They also mention that the question may have some typos and that the professor will be consulted for clarification.
GimB0id
New here, have an assignment concerning Cramer's rule which I think I have a decent understanding of - I can use it to find determinants - but am a little lost on a few questions.

Given the set of linear equations:
a11 x1 + a12 x2 + a13 x3 = 0
a22 x2 + a23 x3 = 0
a33 x3 = 0

assume D = 0 (determinant), this implies that at least 1 of a22 or a33 is 0. show if x !=0 then D != 0

My try:
when I do D I get -> (a11 a22 a33), but if a22 or a33 is 0, then D=0. So I'm not sure what is going on here as if a33 = 0 then x3 can be anything, implying x!=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
D = 0 could imply that a11 = 0 as well.

On the whole, the problem doesn't make sense to me as stated. The determinant of a linear transformation is independent of the value of the vector that it operates on so x being zero would have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
aPhilosopher said:
D = 0 could imply that a11 = 0 as well.

On the whole, the problem doesn't make sense to me as stated. The determinate of a linear transformation is independent of the value of the vector that it operates on so x being zero would have nothing to do with it.

right, a11 could be 0 also. I also don't quite understand the question, I was hoping it was a lack of knowledge on my part as to why I didn't understand it.

GimB0id said:
New here, have an assignment concerning Cramer's rule which I think I have a decent understanding of - I can use it to find determinants - but am a little lost on a few questions.

Given the set of linear equations:
a11 x1 + a12 x2 + a13 x3 = 0
a22 x2 + a23 x3 = 0
a33 x3 = 0
So this can be expressed as the matrix equation
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\ 0 & a_{22} & a_{23} \\ 0 & 0 & a_{33}\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x3\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

It easy to show that the determinant of the matrix is [itex]a_{11}a_{22}a_{33}[/itex]

assume D = 0 (determinant), this implies that at least 1 of a22 or a33 is 0. show if x !=0 then D != 0

My try:
when I do D I get -> (a11 a22 a33), but if a22 or a33 is 0, then D=0. So I'm not sure what is going on here as if a33 = 0 then x3 can be anything, implying x!=0?
Yes, the determinant is [itex]a_{11}a_{22}a_{33}[/itex] as you say and that equals 0 if and only if anyone of [itex]a_{11}[/itex], [itex]a_{22}[/itex], [itex]a_{33}[/itex] is 0. The part about "if x != 0" I don't understand. Are you sure you have copied the problem correctly? It is true that if there exist a non-zero x satifying that equation, the the determinant must be 0. If the determinant is 0, there is only the single solution x= 0.

I think this is a poorly written question, my prof. gave us some minimal notes and there's typos all over the place so I'm going to talk to him to find out what he wants as I suspect there's typos in the question.

Related to Help using Cramer's rule to show properties of determinants

1. What is Cramer's rule?

Cramer's rule is a method used in linear algebra to solve systems of linear equations. It involves using determinants to find the unique solution to a system of equations.

2. How do you use Cramer's rule?

To use Cramer's rule, you first need to set up a system of linear equations in standard form. Then, you can find the determinant of the coefficient matrix and the determinant of each modified matrix where the coefficients of one variable are replaced with the constants from the original system. Finally, the solution for each variable can be found by dividing the determinant of the modified matrix by the determinant of the coefficient matrix.

3. What are the properties of determinants?

The properties of determinants include:

• Multiplying a row or column of a determinant by a constant multiplies the determinant by the same constant.
  • Interchanging two rows or columns of a determinant multiplies the determinant by -1.
  • Adding a multiple of one row or column to another does not change the value of the determinant.
  • If a determinant has two identical rows or columns, it is equal to 0.
  • The determinant of the identity matrix is 1.

4. How does Cramer's rule show the properties of determinants?

Cramer's rule utilizes the properties of determinants in its calculations. For example, when finding the determinant of a modified matrix, the property of adding a multiple of one row or column to another is used. Additionally, when finding the solution for a variable, the property of multiplying by a constant is used.

5. What are the benefits of using Cramer's rule?

Using Cramer's rule can provide a unique solution to a system of linear equations, which can be useful in solving real-world problems. It can also be helpful in understanding the properties of determinants and their role in linear algebra.