Help with 2 simple probability probs

In summary, In the first problem, 4*14*6+14*6*5+4*14*5 equals 255 different meals. In the second problem, if there are 8 buttons and each button opens one of the 8 possible outcomes, then the answer is 8!
Juntao
help with 2 "simple" probability probs

Ok, I'm having a hard time with probability.

First problem.
A restaurant offers a choice of 4 appetizers, 14 entrees, 6 desserts, and 5 beverages. How many different meals are possible if a diner intends to order only three courses? (consider the beverage to be a course)

Maybe I'm making this problem harder than it is. I want to do 4*14*6*5 = answer, but that would only be for a 4 course meal, not a three course meal...right?

Second problem

Residents of a condominium have an automatic garage opener that has a row of 8 buttons. Each garage door has been programmed to respond to a particular set of buttons being pushed. If the condominium has 250 families, can residents be assured that no two garage doors will open on the same signal? If so, how many additional families can be aded before the 8-button code becomes inadequate? *Note* The order in which the buttons are pushed is irrelevant.

I was thinking maybe the answer would be like 250^8, but that doesn't seem right to me. Since the order doesn't matter, 8 buttons such as 12345678 would be same thing as 87654321.

So I was thinking maybe answer was 8! ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First problem: You need to consider all the ways it is possible to get 3 courses.

Second problem: A button will either be depressed or it will not. That gives two choices for each of 8 buttons. Also note that the case with no buttons pressed should be excluded.

1st problem:
4*14*6 + 14*6*5 + 4*14*5

2nd problem:
2^8=256

Actually, Tile was right, 00000000 should be excluded, so it should be
256-1=255

Simply consider it's an 8-digit binary number.

jxiemail said:
1st problem:
4*14*6 + 14*6*5 + 4*14*5

It's almost midnight where I'm from and I am feeling very sleepy. I can't think straight but this doesn't look right. The way I see it there are 4 ways of choosing 3 beverages from 4 beverages. So the answer is = 4*14*6*5*4.

n(ABC+ABD+ACD+BCD)
= n(ABC)+n(ABD)+n(ACD)+n(BCD)
=n(A)*n(B)*n(C)+n(A)*n(B)*n(D)+n(A)*n(C)*n(D)+n(B)*n(C)*n(D)

-- AI

TenaliRaman said:
n(ABC+ABD+ACD+BCD)
= n(ABC)+n(ABD)+n(ACD)+n(BCD)
=n(A)*n(B)*n(C)+n(A)*n(B)*n(D)+n(A)*n(C)*n(D)+n(B)*n(C)*n(D)

-- AI

That looks like a handful. :bugeye: Not entirely elegant, is it? But it is good to memorise this just in case you are not able to solve it logically in an exam.

No need to memorize ... it comes directly from a theorem called as the addition theorem ... its more important to understand what i did in my first step rather what i have done in the following steps ... because they are derived from the theorem itself ...

-- AI
P.S -> I put the answers in the hope that it will encourage the enquiring mind as to what and how those steps came ... instead of simply rote learning them ...

1. What is the difference between independent and dependent events in probability?

In independent events, the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of another event. For example, flipping a coin twice would be considered independent events. In dependent events, the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of another event. For example, drawing marbles from a bag without replacing them would be considered dependent events.

2. How do you calculate the probability of an event?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you are rolling a six-sided die and want to know the probability of rolling a 3, you would divide 1 (the number of favorable outcomes) by 6 (the total number of possible outcomes) to get a probability of 1/6 or about 16.7%.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data from conducting experiments or trials. It may differ from theoretical probability due to chance or outside factors.

4. How do you find the probability of multiple events occurring?

To find the probability of multiple events occurring, you would multiply the probabilities of each individual event. For example, if you want to know the probability of flipping a heads on a coin and then rolling a 4 on a six-sided die, you would multiply 1/2 (the probability of flipping heads) by 1/6 (the probability of rolling a 4) to get a probability of 1/12 or about 8.3%.

5. How does the law of large numbers relate to probability?

The law of large numbers states that as the number of experiments or trials increases, the experimental probability will approach the theoretical probability. In other words, the more trials you conduct, the closer your results will be to the expected probability. This is important in understanding the reliability of probability calculations and predictions.