Help with 2D Motion: Acceleration & Coordinates

In summary, we have discussed problems involving constant acceleration and finding coordinates and speed using kinematics equations. We also discussed the importance of considering units when solving problems involving rotations.
motionman04
2. [PSE6 4.P.005.] At t = 0, a particle moving in the xy plane with constant acceleration has a velocity of vi = (3.00 i - 2.00 j) m/s and is at the origin. At t = 2.80 s, the particle's velocity is v = (9.10 i + 8.50 j) m/s.
(a) Find the acceleration of the particle at any time t. (Use t, i, and j as necessary.) Got this one

(b) Find its coordinates at any time t.
x = ( ) m
y = ( ) m

Don't get these two.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem states constant acceleration, so use the kinematics equations for uniform acceleration, with both the speeds (x-axis and y-axis) and the acceleration(x-axis and y-axis) you found to find the coordinate on the x-axis, and then on the y-axis.

One other question:

To start an avalanche on a mountain slope, an artillery shell is fired with an initial velocity of 330 m/s at 46.0° above the horizontal. It explodes on the mountainside 36.0 s after firing. What are the x and y coordinates of the shell where it explodes, relative to its firing point?

I got the x coordinates by doing 330 cos 46 * 36, but when I try yf = 330sin46 - 1/2(-9.8)(36)^2, the answer is wrong. How do I find the y coordinates?

motionman04 said:
One other question:
I try yf = 330sin46 - 1/2(-9.8)(36)^2, the answer is wrong. How do I find the y coordinates?

You forgot time on your initial speed
:smile:

[tex] Y - Y_{o} = V_{o}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

Well, I tried yf = 330sin46(36) - 1/2(-9.8)(36)^2 and it turned out to be about 14896 feet, which was wrong lol, any ideas?

motionman04 said:
Well, I tried yf = 330sin46(36) - 1/2(-9.8)(36)^2 and it turned out to be about 14896 feet, which was wrong lol, any ideas?

You already has a negative sign for acceleration, it seems to me you're plugging it twice.

oo okay, I just tried yf = 330sin46 + 1/2(-9.8)(36)^2, and got 2195 feet, that sound right?

motionman04 said:
oo okay, I just tried yf = 330sin46 + 1/2(-9.8)(36)^2, and got 2195 feet, that sound right?

feet? you mean meters, It's the answer yes.

lol thanks, but yeah, one other one that was giving me problems: PSE6 4.P.014.] An astronaut on a strange planet finds that she can jump a maximum horizontal distance of 10.0 m if her initial speed is 2.40 m/s. What is the free-fall acceleration on the planet?

I plugged stuff into the kinematics formula, but not getting it

O never mind

6. [PSE6 4.P.029.] A tire 0.300 m in radius rotates at a constant rate of 190 rev/min. Find the speed of a small stone lodged in the tread of the tire (on its outer edge). (Hint: In one revolution, the stone travels a distance equal to the circumference of its path, 2r.)
m/s
What is the acceleration of the stone?

lol yeah, need help with this one

motionman04 said:
6. [PSE6 4.P.029.] A tire 0.300 m in radius rotates at a constant rate of 190 rev/min. Find the speed of a small stone lodged in the tread of the tire (on its outer edge). (Hint: In one revolution, the stone travels a distance equal to the circumference of its path, 2r.)
m/s
What is the acceleration of the stone?

lol yeah, need help with this one

Think about the hint, and you will get it.

Well I tried 2pi(.300), but I'm wondering if you have to convert the rev/minute

motionman04 said:
Well I tried 2pi(.300), but I'm wondering if you have to convert the rev/minute

Let me phrase it this way

1 revolution is 2pir meters.

and you got 190 rev/min, so how many meters will be 190 revs?

2pi(190) i get 1193.8 meters

motionman04 said:
2pi(190) i get 1193.8 meters

maybe you didn't see the r for radius

1 rev is 2piR meters

190 rev is ?

oo okay, I solved 190=2pir and got 30.239 m

I divided that by 60 to get .504 m/s, where do I go from here?

1. What is 2D motion?

2D motion refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, typically represented on a plane with both horizontal and vertical axes.

2. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (amount) and direction.

3. How is acceleration calculated in 2D motion?

In 2D motion, acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (change in velocity)/(change in time). This can be broken down into horizontal and vertical components using trigonometric functions.

4. What is the relationship between acceleration and coordinates in 2D motion?

In 2D motion, acceleration is dependent on the coordinates of the object. This means that the acceleration can change as the object moves along different coordinates on the plane.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion in 2D?

Acceleration affects an object's motion in 2D by changing its velocity. A positive acceleration will increase the velocity, while a negative acceleration will decrease the velocity. The direction of the acceleration will also determine the direction of the change in velocity.