Help with a angular velocity question

In summary, the student is a beginner at physics and is stuck on a problem their teacher gave them. They are looking for help with various parts of the problem, including calculating the angular speed, revolutions, linear speed and acceleration, centripetal acceleration, and total acceleration. They are also struggling to find the relevant equations and are asking for help. Another student is also seeking help with a similar problem, but they are unable to provide assistance. The student expresses frustration with their textbook and upcoming finals, but thanks
someboy
hi i am a beginner at physics. my teacher just gave me this problem for a make up work but he did not give me any equations on solving this problem due to some misunderstanding he got mad at me. so here i am stuck... please help!

A discus thrower (arm length 1.2 m) starts from rest and begins to rotate
counterclockwise with a constant angular acceleration of size 2.7 rad/s2.
a. How long does it take for the discus thrower's angular speed to reach 5.7
rad/s?
b. How many revolutions does it take for the discus thrower's angular speed to
reach 5.7 rad/s?
c. What is the linear speed of the discus at 5.7 rad/s?
d. What is the linear acceleration of the discus at this point?
e.What is the size of the discus's centripetal acceleration?
f. What is the size of the discus's total acceleration?

i searched all over the internet and i still can't find any equations that applys to my questions here is the only question i found.. i don't even know how to use this equation on solving those problems..

O=O(initial)+ W(intial)T + 1/2 XT(square)

please begging on my knees for some help on solving this problem!

any helps would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
here the arm length becomes the radius of rotation..

initial angular velocity=0
alpha[accln]=2.7 rad/s^2
final angular velocity=5.7rad/s
>>5.7=0+2.7 *t

calculate t...

for next part=1 revolution=2 pi rad..

for next part..
linear velocity= angular velocity*radius

for next part..
linear acceleration=linear velocity/time

for next part..
centripetal accln=linear velocity^2/radius

total accln=[centripetal accleration^2+tangential accln^]^1/2

tangential accln=linear accln=v/t

are you now able to solve it?

well is there also a equation for linear velocity and angular velocity?

because i need to show work i am trying to write out the equation in letters from the helps you provided.

thank you very much!

i need a little more help how do i get the linear velocity and angular velocity is?

I'm having trouble on a similar problem, involving tangetial acceleration and radial acceleration; which I guess equates to linear and angular. Sorry I can't help you.

Btw, what is the name of your textbook?

it is call the physics of everyday phenomena ... it is basically uselesss it doesn't give the equation at all... only explains stuff

Hmmm, my textbook doesn't have anything about "angular velocity." But I think linear velocity is just the normal velocity equation of v = x/t. Don't take my word for it though. I'm horrible at physics.

yeah i am very horrible at physics but i waited for 1 hour infront of my couselor's officer and she won't even let me drop one class >_<. i still got finals tomorrow ! i guess.. i will go now... hope you can somehow solve your problems too GO angels...

really appreciate your help physixguru! you are my live saver!

Wow finals. Best of luck to you!

angular velocity= linear velocity/ radius

angular velocity=angular acceleration*time

linear velocity=angular velocity* radius of rotation

linear velocity=linear acceleration*time

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating or moving in a circular path.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What are the units of angular velocity?

The SI unit of angular velocity is radians per second (rad/s), but it can also be measured in degrees per second (°/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

4. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity measures the rate of change of linear displacement. Angular velocity is used for objects moving in a circular or rotational motion, while linear velocity is used for objects moving in a straight line.

5. What factors affect angular velocity?

The factors that affect angular velocity include the size of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the force applied to the object. The moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, also affects angular velocity.