What camera should I choose for my wife for Christmas?

In summary, the person is looking for a camera for their wife that will take good pictures without her having to think about settings, and they are specifically looking for a camera that will take good pictures in lower light without the use of flash.
wxrocks
I am here hoping for some geeky advice on a camera for my wife for Christmas.

The most important features are going to be speed (meaning "boot up time" and time to capture the image after pressing the button) and taking good pictures in lower light without her having to think a lot about settings. I've been in stores and online, but there are so many choices I'd almost rather have some personal geek experience.

Thanks in advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
wxrocks said:
taking good pictures in lower light without her having to think a lot about settings.

How low are we talking about? Ordinary room light? Daytime or nighttime? Without or with flash? Are there any specific situations you're thinking of, e.g. performances at a theater or night club (which can have very contrasty lighting) or home or office situations?

I haven't been in the market for a camera in a few years so I'm not familiar with the capabilities of what's available now, but I think for very good pictures (low noise) in ordinary room light at night, without flash, you probably still need a digital SLR rather than a "point and shoot" model.

phyzmatix said:
Go here :smile:

Right, maybe http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

or else go here and search the test reports about group comparisons. Search for "group".

Edit:

Something that the camera manufacturers don't think about is this. Many people just know two functions of a camera: On and click a snapshot of kids/siblings. Ready. No more.

Now the problem with many simple zoom camera's is that they start in the on position in the widest focus angle. As a consequence kids and siblings are depicted very tiny, lost in the center of a very wide picture with lots of completely uninteresting details.

So either learn that there is another handle/control that says 'zoom' or buy a camera without wide angle zoom capacity.

Waiting for the simple camera that goes on in midrange zoom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What camera should I choose for my wife for Christmas?

1. What type of camera should I choose?

The type of camera you should choose depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you are a beginner, a point-and-shoot camera may be a good option. If you are looking for more advanced features and control, a DSLR or mirrorless camera may be a better choice. Consider what you will primarily be using the camera for and your budget when making your decision.

2. What is the difference between a DSLR and a mirrorless camera?

A DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) camera uses a mirror and prism system to reflect light into the viewfinder, while a mirrorless camera uses an electronic viewfinder. DSLRs are typically larger and offer more lens options, while mirrorless cameras are more compact and offer faster autofocus. Both types can produce high-quality images, so it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

3. How important is the camera's megapixel count?

The megapixel count of a camera is not the most important factor when choosing a camera. While it can affect the resolution and sharpness of your images, it is not the only factor that contributes to image quality. Other factors such as sensor size, lens quality, and image processing also play a role. Unless you plan on printing large images, a camera with 12-24 megapixels should suffice.

4. Should I focus on video capabilities or still images?

If you are primarily interested in photography, then the camera's still image quality should be your main focus. However, if you plan on recording videos regularly, then you may want to consider a camera with good video capabilities, such as 4K resolution and image stabilization. Keep in mind that cameras with advanced video features tend to be more expensive.

5. What is a good budget for a beginner camera?

The budget for a beginner camera can vary depending on the type of camera and its features. Generally, a good budget for a beginner camera would be around $300-$500 for a point-and-shoot camera and $500-$800 for a DSLR or mirrorless camera. However, if you are serious about photography, it may be worth investing more in a higher-end camera. Consider your needs and budget when making your decision.