Help with a circuit problem (Zener Diode)

• Engineering
  • Thread starter november1992
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Diode
In summary, the zener diode in the circuit is not as source of emf, so when you say that:Vd = Von, I > 0Vd = -Vz, I < 0Do you measure the current excluding the diode first?Problem 1.c)The voltage is 0.2V so would the current be measured excluding the diode to determine whether the current is negative and then, after figuring out the current, would you use that value to determine the value of Vd?
november1992

Homework Statement

In the circuit below, a zener diode (VON = 0.7V, VZ = -5.7 V) is in series with two
resistors. Determine the current (I) if Vs is:

a) 6V b) 4V c) 0.2V d) – 0.2V e) – 4V f) – 6V

[PLAIN]http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6995/zenerdiodecircuit.png

Homework Equations

I was thinking that I=V-Von/Req

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure if i have the correct formula.I'm not asking for the answer i Just want to know whether I'm using the correct formula. I was wondering what exactly is Vz

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You almost have the right formula, although I think you left out a parenthesis, and it's actually I = (Vs - Vd)/Req where Vd is the drop across the zener.

Vd = Von, I > 0
Vd = -Vz, I < 0

Note - the Zener is NOT as source of emf!

Last edited:

So, when you say that:

Vd = Von, I > 0
Vd = -Vz, I < 0

Do you measure the current excluding the diode first?

Problem 1.c)
The voltage is 0.2V so would the current be measured excluding the diode to determine whether the current is negative and then, after figuring out the current, would you use that value to determine the value of Vd?

I=V/Req
I=0.2V/10ohm
I=0.02 Amps
Vd = Von, I > 0
then,
I=Vs-Vd/Req
I=0.2V-0.7V/10ohm
I=-0.05

november1992 said:
So, when you say that:

Vd = Von, I > 0
Vd = -Vz, I < 0

Do you measure the current excluding the diode first?

Problem 1.c)
The voltage is 0.2V so would the current be measured excluding the diode to determine whether the current is negative and then, after figuring out the current, would you use that value to determine the value of Vd?

I=V/Req
I=0.2V/10ohm
I=0.02 Amps
Vd = Von, I > 0
then,
I=Vs-Vd/Req
I=0.2V-0.7V/10ohm
I=-0.05

No. The zener conducts no current if Vz < Vs < Von. This is your golden rule. Remember that Vz is negative. No zener current means I = 0.

So when Vs > 0 you need Vs > Von to get any current. What you do is subtract Von from Vs and then compute the current. If it computes < 0 there is no current.

Likewise for Vs < 0. Subtract Vz from Vs. Remeber now Vs < 0. If current computes > 0 there is no current.

So I have to subtract the Von from the Vs?

So for a voltage of 6V, would the current be 0 since 0.7V-6V/10ohms=-0.53Amps

You contradicted yourself in those two sentences. Think about it. (Hint: the first one is correct).

rude man said:
No. The zener conducts no current if Vz < Vs < Von. This is your golden rule. Remember that Vz is negative. No zener current means I = 0.

So when Vs > 0 you need Vs > Von to get any current. What you do is subtract Von from Vs and then compute the current. If it computes < 0 there is no current.

Likewise for Vs < 0. Subtract Vz from Vs. Remeber now Vs < 0. If current computes > 0 there is no current.

So does this mean that if the voltage is 0.2V that I=0Amps because Vs<Von,
and if the voltage is -0.2V I=-0.09 Amps because [(-5.7V)-(-0.2V)]/10=0.09A?

Yes to the first part, no to the second.
To repeat: "Likewise for Vs < 0. Subtract Vz from Vs. Remeber now Vs < 0. If current computes > 0 there is no current. "

What is Vs - Vz? answer: -0.2 - (-5.7) = + 5.5V. Current computes to +5.5V/R > 0 so no current.

Again you wrote Vz - Vs when I said to compute Vs - Vz. Tsk tsk! :-)

1. What is a Zener Diode?

A Zener Diode is a type of diode that is designed to operate in the reverse breakdown region of its voltage-current characteristic curve. This allows it to maintain a constant voltage across its terminals, making it useful for voltage regulation in electronic circuits.

2. How do I know if I need a Zener Diode in my circuit?

A Zener Diode is typically used in circuits where a stable reference voltage is needed, such as in voltage regulators or power supplies. If your circuit requires a constant voltage, a Zener Diode may be a suitable component to use.

3. How does a Zener Diode work?

A Zener Diode works by allowing current to flow in the reverse direction when a certain voltage, known as the Zener voltage, is reached. This creates a constant voltage across the diode, providing a stable reference for the circuit.

4. How do I choose the right Zener Diode for my circuit?

The most important factor to consider when choosing a Zener Diode is its Zener voltage, which should be slightly higher than the desired output voltage of your circuit. Additionally, the diode should have a current rating that can handle the maximum current in your circuit.

5. What are some common applications of Zener Diodes?

Zener Diodes are commonly used in voltage regulators, power supplies, and as protection devices in circuits to prevent damage from voltage spikes. They can also be used in circuits that require a stable reference voltage, such as in analog to digital converters or voltage comparators.