Help with a couple of problems

• Thread starter jlmac2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary: This is a little over 2 (I'm not doing that in my head!) so the people on the rocket would see the trip as taking a little over half as long as the people on Earth do. Hope this helps you.In summary, in the first conversation, the speed of a beam of pions can be calculated by dividing their average lifetime by their lifetime at rest. In the second conversation, the time it would take for a spacecraft traveling at 0.910c to reach a star 70.6 light-years away from Earth would be 70.6/0.91 years. From the spacecraft's point of view, the trip would appear to take a little over half the time due to the "sl
jlmac2001
1. What is the speed of a beam of pions if their average lifetime is measured to be 4.34×10-8s? At rest, their lifetime is 2.60×10-8s.

- Would I use velocity= distance/time? 4.34/2.6=velocity

2. A certain star is 70.6 light-years away. How many years would it take a spacecraft traveling 0.910c to reach that star from Earth, as measured by observers on Earth? How many years would it take to reach that star from Earth, as measured by observers on the spacecraft ?

- For the first part, would it be 70.6/sqrt(1-.910)?
-For the second part, would it be the answer from part 1 divided by sqrt(1-.910)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate to say it but you need serious help:
"Would I use velocity= distance/time? 4.34/2.6=velocity"
4.34 is given as the "lifetime"- it is time not distance!
You seem to be just grabbing the two numbers and putting them together is the simplest way. Considering that in order to do this problem you have to be studying relativity, you will need to be able to actually understand things better than that!
If something has a longer lifetime (4.34 is longer than 2.6) at higher speed, it has to be "living" slower. Do you know anything about speed causing time to slow down?

Looking at your remarks about problem two, I'm a little more reassured. Since the Earth is not moving, the time required from the Earth viewpoint for the rocket (at .91c) to go a distance 70.6 light year is just the usual formula: speed= distance/time so time= distance/speed: 70.6/0.91 years (since a "light year" is defined as the distance light goes in a year, we don't have to worry about "c").

From the point of view of the people in the rocket (and since both distance and speed given are measured relative to the earth), we have to allow for the "slowing" of time: but the formula would be 1/(1- 0.91^2).

1. Yes, you would use the formula velocity = distance/time. However, in this case, the distance is not given. Instead, you need to use the fact that the average lifetime of the pions is equal to the distance traveled at the speed of light. So, the velocity would be 2.6/4.34 = 0.599c.

2. For the first part, you are correct. The formula for time dilation is t' = t/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), where t is the time measured by the observer on Earth and t' is the time measured by the spacecraft. So, in this case, t' = 70.6/sqrt(1-0.910^2) = 70.6/0.420 = 168.1 years.

For the second part, you would use the same formula, but with the velocity of the spacecraft (0.910c) instead of the Earth observer (0.599c). So, t' = 70.6/sqrt(1-0.910^2) = 70.6/0.420 = 168.1 years. This means that both observers would measure the same amount of time for the spacecraft to reach the star.

1. What is the first step in solving a problem?

The first step in solving a problem is to clearly define the problem. This involves identifying the root cause of the problem, understanding its impact, and setting specific and achievable goals for finding a solution.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

One way to improve problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. This can involve tackling different types of problems, using different approaches and techniques, and seeking feedback from others. Additionally, staying open-minded and being willing to learn from mistakes can also help improve problem-solving abilities.

3. What are some common roadblocks that can hinder problem-solving?

Some common roadblocks that can hinder problem-solving include lack of understanding or information, biases and assumptions, fear of failure, and limited resources. It is important to identify and address these roadblocks in order to effectively solve a problem.

4. How can I break down a complex problem into smaller, manageable parts?

One approach to breaking down a complex problem is to use a problem-solving framework such as the "5 Whys" or the "Fishbone Diagram". These methods involve asking a series of questions to identify the root cause of the problem and breaking it down into smaller components that can be addressed individually.

5. What should I do if I can't solve a problem on my own?

If you are struggling to solve a problem on your own, it can be helpful to seek advice or assistance from others. This could involve collaborating with colleagues, consulting with experts, or seeking outside perspectives. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.