Solving Limits of (sinx+siny)/(x+y) as (x,y) Approaches (0,0) and (π/3,-π/3)

• Thread starter Dvsdvs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the function f(x,y)=(sinx+siny)/(x+y) as (x,y) approaches (0,0) and then for part II (pi/3,-pi/3). The participants consider using a trig identity to simplify the function and discuss the singularity at x+y=0 and whether it is removable.
Dvsdvs
f(x,y)=(sinx+siny)/(x+Y)
as (x,y) approaches (0,0) and then for part II (pi/3,-pi/3)

I know that sin(x+Y)/(x+y) would=1 by some simple tweaks. But in my problem, the 2 sins on the numerator are confusing me a little. Since x and y are approaching the same point on the first limit can i say x=y. and write f(x,y)=(sinx+sinx)/2x ?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a trig identity that will let you express sin(x)+sin(y) in terms of sin((x+y)/2) and cos((x-y)/2), can you dig it up? Assuming x=y isn't going work for part II) anyway.

Dvsdvs said:
f(x,y)=(sinx+siny)/(x+Y)
as (x,y) approaches (0,0) and then for part II (pi/3,-pi/3)

I know that sin(x+Y)/(x+y) would=1 by some simple tweaks. But in my problem, the 2 sins on the numerator are confusing me a little. Since x and y are approaching the same point on the first limit can i say x=y. and write f(x,y)=(sinx+sinx)/2x ?

I think the teacher (or the book) wants you to use a formula for sinx+siny, which will give the answer directly.

EDIT: Ooh, close finish with Dick...

lol yeah forgot to check formulas. its sinX + sinY = 2sin[ (X + Y) / 2 ] cos[ (X - Y) / 2 ] and it will prob work with both parts ill check it tomorrow. Also, f(x,y) has a singularity on x+y. questions wants proof that it is/ it is not removable.
Is it true that it is removable by plugging in a value at (0,0) i.e. finding a f(x,y) value that equals the lim f(x,y) as x and y approach 0.
Is this rigorous enough? Thank you for the help!

Yes, a singularity is removable if there is a well defined limit as you approach the singularity.

1. What is a simple limit?

A simple limit is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value.

2. How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic manipulation, graphing, or the formal definition of a limit.

3. What are some common techniques for solving limits?

Some common techniques for solving limits include factoring, rationalization, substitution, and L'Hopital's rule.

4. How can I determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the left and right-hand limits are equal at the given point, and the function is continuous at that point.

5. Can limits be used to evaluate functions at a specific point?

No, limits cannot be used to evaluate functions at a specific point. They only describe the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value.