Help with an indirect proof (RAA)

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, using Reductio ad Absurdum, we can prove that R=H by assuming ~(R=H) and arriving at a contradiction. This can be achieved by applying de Morgan laws and the definition of implication.
aychamo
Hey guys;

I was hoping that I could get some help with an indirect proof we are doing in my logic class. It is an introductory class, and this was a homework question that I couldn't get. This isn't course-work that is graded, it is just practice for our exam that is tomorrow! I asked it in class today and the professor worked on it for about 45 minutes but he couldn't get it. He and I are both sure that it is something very simple that we aren't catching.

Here it is: (I will use = to show equivalence, and > to show implication).

1. (R*S) = (G*H)
2. R > S
3. H > G

Conclusion: R=H

The point is to use Reductio ad Absurdum (RAA) to solve this. We can use the 18 Rules of Inference (and Replacement), and also conditional proofs.

Here is one pathway I took that did not steer me towards the answer:

4. ~(R=H) by AP (first thing for the RAA)
5. [(R*S) > (G*H) * [(G*H) > (R*S)] by Equiv 1
6. (R*S) > (G*H) by Simp 5
7. (G*H) > (R*S) by Simp 5
8. ~[(R*H) v (~R*~H)] by Equiv 4
9. ~(R * H) * ~(~R * ~H) by DM 8
10. (~Rv~H) * ~(~R*~H) by DM 9
11. (~R v ~H) by Simp 10
12. ~(~R*~H) by simp 10
13. (RvH) by DM 12
14. (SvG) by CD(2,3,13)

Perhaps there is something to the constructive delimma that is set up on line 14? Also, it seems that I will have to at some point use a conditional proof or something to assume a sentence letter, or something, because I don't see how I can show the contradiction (we do the A*~A on the same line thing) without having some sentence letter to prove another?

I dunno, this should be really easy because this is a basic logic book (A Concise Introduction to Logic by Hurley) and a basic class, and the rest of the proofs are very easy in this section. But this one .. We couldn't get it. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you!
AYCHAMO

Physics news on Phys.org
aychamo said:
Hey guys;

I was hoping that I could get some help with an indirect proof we are doing in my logic class. It is an introductory class, and this was a homework question that I couldn't get. This isn't course-work that is graded, it is just practice for our exam that is tomorrow! I asked it in class today and the professor worked on it for about 45 minutes but he couldn't get it. He and I are both sure that it is something very simple that we aren't catching.

Here it is: (I will use = to show equivalence, and > to show implication).

1. (R*S) = (G*H)
2. R > S
3. H > G

Conclusion: R=H

The point is to use Reductio ad Absurdum (RAA) to solve this. We can use the 18 Rules of Inference (and Replacement), and also conditional proofs.

Here is one pathway I took that did not steer me towards the answer:

4. ~(R=H) by AP (first thing for the RAA)
5. [(R*S) > (G*H) * [(G*H) > (R*S)] by Equiv 1
6. (R*S) > (G*H) by Simp 5
7. (G*H) > (R*S) by Simp 5
8. ~[(R*H) v (~R*~H)] by Equiv 4
9. ~(R * H) * ~(~R * ~H) by DM 8
10. (~Rv~H) * ~(~R*~H) by DM 9
11. (~R v ~H) by Simp 10
12. ~(~R*~H) by simp 10
13. (RvH) by DM 12
14. (SvG) by CD(2,3,13)

Perhaps there is something to the constructive delimma that is set up on line 14? Also, it seems that I will have to at some point use a conditional proof or something to assume a sentence letter, or something, because I don't see how I can show the contradiction (we do the A*~A on the same line thing) without having some sentence letter to prove another?

I dunno, this should be really easy because this is a basic logic book (A Concise Introduction to Logic by Hurley) and a basic class, and the rest of the proofs are very easy in this section. But this one .. We couldn't get it. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you!
AYCHAMO

There is a simple solution using de Morgan laws and the definiton of implication (A->B is equivalent with (~A \/ B),if you are allowed to use them then my proposal might be of help:

*=AND
->=the implication sign
\/=OR
~=the negation sign
=the equivalence sign

Lets' assume that ~(H=R) is true=1

We have H=R equivalent with (R->H)*(H->R)

Thus ~(H=R)=~[(R->H)*(H->R)]

Applying de Morgan's law ~(A*B)=~A \/ ~B --->

~(H=R)=~[(R->H)*(H->R)] =[~(R->H)] \/ [~(H->R)]

[~(R->H)] \/ [~(H->R)]=[~(~R \/ H)] \/ [~(~H \/ R)]

By applying again one of de Morgan's laws ~(A \/ B) = ~A * ~B --->

[~(~R \/ H)] \/ [~(~H \/ R)]=(R*~H) \/ (H * ~R)

(R* (~H)) \/ (H * (~R))=(R \/ H) * (R \/ ~R) * (~H \/ H) * (~H \/ ~R)

(R \/ ~R) and (~H \/ H) are tautotologies (their truth value is always 1)

(R \/ H) * (~H \/ ~R) is 1 only if H is different from R.

Therefore if ~(H=R) is true then H is different from R.

Now if we choose R=1 we have H=0

Next from R->S we have that S=1 and from H -> G we have that G is either 0 or 1 (not important anyway).

Thus (R*S)=1 and (G*H)=0.This is a contradiction with the premise that always R*S=G*H therefore ~(R=H) is false and R=H (in the virtue of excluded middle principle) is true.

Hi AYCHAMO,

I completely understand your frustration with this problem. Indirect proofs, especially using RAA, can be tricky and require a lot of logical thinking. Here are some steps that may help you solve this problem:

1. Start by assuming the opposite of what you want to prove. In this case, you want to prove that R = H, so assume ~(R = H).

2. Use the given premises to try and derive a contradiction. Since the conclusion you want to prove is R = H, try to find a way to get both R and H on the same side of the equation.

3. Since you have (R * S) = (G * H), you can use the transitive property to get (R * S) = (R * H).

4. Now, using the conditional proof, assume R. This will allow you to use the premise R > S to also get S.

5. Using conjunction, you can now get (R * S).

6. Going back to step 3, you now have (R * S) = (R * H). Using the transitive property again, you can get (R * H).

7. Now, using the premise H > G, you can get G.

8. Using conjunction again, you now have (R * H) = (R * G).

9. Going back to step 4, since you have R, you can also use the premise R > S to get S.

10. Using conjunction again, you now have (R * G) = (S * G).

11. Going back to step 7, you have G. Using conjunction again, you now have (S * G).

12. Going back to step 10, you have (S * G) = (R * G). Using the transitive property, you can get (S * G) = (S * R).

13. Using commutativity, you now have (S * R) = (R * S).

14. Going back to step 5, you have (R * S). Using the transitive property, you can get (R * S) = (S * R).

15. Using the transitive property again, you now have (S * R) = (S * G).

16. Using commutativity, you now have (S * G) = (G * S).

17. Going back to step

1. What is an indirect proof in science?

An indirect proof, also known as a reductio ad absurdum (RAA) proof, is a method of proving a statement by assuming its opposite is true and then showing that this leads to a logical contradiction. This contradiction proves that the original statement must be true.

2. When should I use an indirect proof in my research?

Indirect proofs are useful when direct proofs are difficult or impossible to construct. They are commonly used in mathematics and logic to prove the existence of a solution or to show that a statement is universally true.

3. What are the steps to follow when using RAA?

The first step in an RAA proof is to assume the opposite of the statement you are trying to prove. Next, use logical deductions and premises to reach a contradiction. This contradiction will prove that the original statement must be true. Finally, conclude the proof by stating the original statement is true.

4. Can indirect proofs be used in any scientific field?

While indirect proofs are commonly used in mathematics and logic, they can also be applied in other scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. Indirect proofs rely on logical reasoning and can be used to prove a wide range of statements.

5. Are there any limitations to using indirect proofs?

One limitation of indirect proofs is that they can be time-consuming and require a high level of logical thinking. In some cases, a direct proof may be more efficient. Additionally, indirect proofs may not be suitable for every type of problem, so it is important to consider other proof methods as well.