Help with anchor and bolt sizing calcualtions

In summary: JeffHi Jeff,I am a Mechanical Engineer and I would be happy to help you with the calculations. My email is Thanks,jeffHi Jeff I am a Mechanical Engineer and I would be happy to help you with the calculations. My email is jeffIn summary, the robot weight is 900kg, and the max reach swinging around with a weight of 110kg at the end at 125 degree/s. I am not sure if the anchors I use are strong enough to hold it down assuming i mount the robot at the centre of the mounting plate. Any advice with doing calculations to do a sanity check? I am also using M20
JCSS
TL;DR Summary
Help with anchor and bolt sizing calcualtions
The robot weight is 900kg
I have a robot with max reach swinging around with a weight of 110kg at the end at 125 degree/s
I am not sure if the anchors I use are strong enough to hold it down assuming i mount the robot at the centre of the mounting plate
Any advice with doing calculations to do a sanity check?
I am also using M20 bolts to mount the robot to the base with 24mm thread engagement Class 12.9 bolts x 8 around the diameter Space around roughly at L1=300mm

Thanks
DIAGRAM.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello,
Do you happen to also know what the max weight you will be holding on the arm is also?

Are those stud anchor specs in imperial?

Thanks,

jeff

Hi Jeff,
The max weight in the arm will be 110kg at distance 300mm+ 1172mm+1227mm+769mm = 3468mm
the stud anchor specs are in imperial

Thanks

JCSS said:
Hi Jeff,
The max weight in the arm will be 110kg at distance 300mm+ 1172mm+1227mm+769mm = 3468mm
the stud anchor specs are in imperial

Thanks
what is W3? (weight of arm)

thanks

jeff

jeff davis said:
what is W3? (weight of arm)

thanks

jeff
Hi Jeff
This diagram is the correct info. W3 =0
DIAGRAM.png

thanks

Hello,
I am getting around 2500 lbf total just from rough calc.

so 1100 pullout of your bolts x 8pcs should be more than enough.

thats a good 350% safety factor. That is for the arm to the plate. You would need more anchors for the plate to the ground of the same strength. The force would be a little less because of the weight of that thick base.

What did you get?

(627*.3 + 518 * 1.172 + 190 * 1.227 + .769 * 110)* 9.81 = 10917.7 N = 2454.4 lbf

i neglected the 125 degree angle because this would only reduce the total force. worst case scenario is if someone puts the arm straight out.

Hi Jeff ,
The 125 degree / second is rotational speed of the robot spinning around , wouldn't that cause a moment and require more force?
I have additional information
I have the same results in your first step but your units should be KG*M X 9.81M/S^2 = KGM^2/S^2 Which N*M = joules
DIAGRAM 2.png

Thanks

Oh. Ok. I was thinking about it in just the x,y plane. Yeah that would cause a moment for sure. You probably would be worried about the arms movements in and out also. That would have some inertia also. Not sure if it would be more than the rotational inertia?

I'm not good enough at such calculations to be much help for you. I'd love to see yours when your done though to maybe learn a thing or two.

Maybe theven place you got it from would have these forces charted out?

Jeff

The only source of sufficient knowledge about the machine's requirements to answer your questions is the manufacturer.

Likes Bandit127
bummer,
Im surprised more people have not chimed in here. Ususally they do.

You could probably derive the moment of inertia for the arm easily enough but I am not sure how to translate that to the bolts as a force. It is a pretty dynamic load. I bet that the in and out movement force would be greater than the rotational force. maybe if you just calculate for that and then add a safety factor of 100% you would be covered.

You I am sure are already thinking of these things. Just throwing stuff out.

1. What is the purpose of anchor and bolt sizing calculations?

Anchor and bolt sizing calculations are used to determine the appropriate size and type of anchors and bolts needed to securely fasten structures or equipment to a surface. This helps ensure the safety and stability of the structure or equipment.

2. How do I calculate the required anchor and bolt sizes?

The calculation process involves determining the load or weight that will be placed on the anchor or bolt, as well as the type of material it will be attached to. This information is then used to select the appropriate anchor and bolt size based on industry standards and building codes.

3. Can I use any type of anchor and bolt for my project?

No, it is important to use the correct type of anchor and bolt for your specific project. Factors such as the type of material being fastened, the load requirements, and the environmental conditions must be taken into consideration when selecting the appropriate anchor and bolt.

4. What are the consequences of using the wrong anchor and bolt sizes?

Using the wrong anchor and bolt sizes can result in a weak or unstable connection, which can lead to structural failure or equipment damage. It is important to use the correct sizes to ensure the safety and stability of the structure or equipment.

5. Are there any online resources or tools available for anchor and bolt sizing calculations?

Yes, there are various online resources and tools available for anchor and bolt sizing calculations. These include calculators, charts, and guides provided by industry organizations and building code authorities. It is important to verify the accuracy and reliability of these resources before using them for your project.