Help with atomic polarization question

In summary, the average magnetization of the gas is zero as both the probability of having a positive magnetization and the probability of having a negative magnetization are the same.
justinbaker
Studying for finals and this is one of the reveiw questions our teacher wanted us to take a look at. A little help please, i got started somewhat as you will see below

"Suppose that we have a lot of noninteracting atoms (a gas) in an external magnetic field. You may take as given the fact that each atom can be in one of two states, whose energies differ by an amount ΔE = 2µB, depending on the strength of the magnetization is taken to be +1 if it's in the lower energy state or -1 if it's in the higher state

a.) Find the average magnetization of hte entire sample as a function of the applied magnetic field B [Remark: Your answer can be expressed in terms of ΔE by using a hyperbolic trigonmetric function; if you know these, then write it this way.]

b.)Discuss how your solution behaves when B--> ∞ and when B--> 0, and why your results make sense."A.) so i am a little confused but this is what i have so far
E1=+µB
E2=-µB

and Probability1=e^(-E1/(KT))
Probability2=e^(-E2/(KT))

also P1 + P2= 1

so is there numbers that i need to plug into find the answer? B.) figure this out when i solve A

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, with these occupation fractions of "North up" and "South up" atoms,
what is the total (net) magnetization?
If T=infinite, you have the same number of Norths as Souths pointing upward,
so the total (and fractional) magnetization is zero.

It is important that the positive Energy is opposite the negative Energy,
or else the sum (and difference) is not a hyperbolic trig function.

ok so i am still really confused here, so is the avg magnetization zero?

justinbaker said:
Studying for finals and this is one of the reveiw questions our teacher wanted us to take a look at. A little help please, i got started somewhat as you will see below

"Suppose that we have a lot of noninteracting atoms (a gas) in an external magnetic field. You may take as given the fact that each atom can be in one of two states, whose energies differ by an amount ΔE = 2µB, depending on the strength of the magnetization is taken to be +1 if it's in the lower energy state or -1 if it's in the higher state

a.) Find the average magnetization of hte entire sample as a function of the applied magnetic field B [Remark: Your answer can be expressed in terms of ΔE by using a hyperbolic trigonmetric function; if you know these, then write it this way.]

b.)Discuss how your solution behaves when B--> ∞ and when B--> 0, and why your results make sense."

A.) so i am a little confused but this is what i have so far
E1=+µB
E2=-µB

and Probability1=e^(-E1/(KT))
Probability2=e^(-E2/(KT))

also P1 + P2= 1

so is there numbers that i need to plug into find the answer?

B.) figure this out when i solve A

You have two possible values of magnetaziation. Just calculate (first value times the probability of having the first value) plus (second value times the probability of the second value) all that divided by the sum of the two porbabilities. It will give an hyperbolic function.

The probabiilities are

[tex]
\frac{1}{1+exp(- \Delta E/k_BT)}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\frac{1}{1+exp(\Delta E/k_BT)}
[/tex],

but how do I know which probability represents wihch magnetization?

c)

If I am right, the expected value approaches zero both when B -> infinity and when B -> 0, but I can't see why that makes sense...

Last edited:

1. What is atomic polarization?

Atomic polarization is the process by which an atom's electrons become oriented in a particular direction due to an external electric field. This causes a separation of charge within the atom, resulting in a dipole moment.

2. Why is atomic polarization important?

Atomic polarization plays a crucial role in various physical phenomena, such as light-matter interactions, chemical bonding, and magnetic properties. It is also essential in technologies such as lasers, atomic clocks, and sensors.

3. How is atomic polarization measured?

Atomic polarization can be measured using techniques such as Raman spectroscopy, polarimetry, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). These methods involve analyzing the changes in the energy levels and orientations of the atom's electrons.

4. What factors affect atomic polarization?

The strength and direction of an external electric field, the electronic structure of the atom, and the presence of nearby atoms or molecules can all affect atomic polarization. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact.

5. How can atomic polarization be manipulated?

Atomic polarization can be manipulated by changing the strength and direction of the external electric field, altering the electronic structure of the atom through chemical reactions or excitation with light, or by placing the atom in a specific environment, such as a crystal lattice or gas mixture.