1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Mirror for Neutral Atoms

1. Aug 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an infinite sheet of magnetized tape in the x-z plane with a nonuniform periodic magnetization M = cos(2πx/λ), where λ/2 is the distance between the north and south poles of the magnetization along the x-axis. The region outside the tape is a vacuum with no currents or time varying fields anywhere in space.
    Assume that the top surface of the tape is at y=0 and the B-field at the top is B= B_0[(y-hat)*sin(2πx/λ) -(x-hat)*cos(2πx/λ)].
    a) Show that the H field in vacuum is given by a scalar potential H =-∇Φ.
    b) Find the most general Φ by solving Laplace's equation.
    c) State the boundary conditions on B and H, at y=0 and y=∞, necessary to find B in vacuum.
    d) Find B in the vacuum by the results of b) and c).
    e) A hydrogen atom of magnetic moment μ(y-hat) approaches the tape from above along x=3λ/4. Find the force on the atom as function of distance from the tape. Does the tape attract or repel this atom?

2. Relevant equations
    F= -∇(μ⋅B), ∇⋅H =-∇⋅M, Δ(∂Φ/∂r) =ΔM

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) The region outside the tape has no currents so ∇xH = ∇⋅H =0 ⇒ H= -∇Φ since ∇x(∇) =0. Therefore Φ satisfies Laplace's equation in 2-D.
    b) In polar coordinates the general solution is Φ(r,θ) =∑ (A_l r^l + B_l /r^[l+1]) P_l (cosθ).
    c) The potential must be continuous at the boundary and finite everywhere. The condition on H is the third relevant equation.
    d) Here I get stuck and am not sure how to use the boundary conditions.
    e) After finding B from d) we can use the first relevant equation to find the force on the atom.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!
    Should there be a negative sign on the right side of this equation?

ok
    Are polar coordinates appropriate for this problem?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  4. Aug 15, 2016 #3
    Taking your questions in turn, no there shouldn't be a negative sign and the lack of azimuthal symmetry implies that polars are not appropriate. So I should just use the general solution in terms of circular and hyperbolic trig functions, yes?

5. Aug 15, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. (You can use simple exponential functions in place of the hyperbolic functions.)

6. Aug 15, 2016 #5
    Ok, so with parts a) and b) out of the way how would I use the boundary conditions?

7. Aug 15, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you write the general solution for ##\Phi## before applying boundary conditions?

8. Aug 15, 2016 #7
    Sure, Φ = (A e^kx +Be^[-kx])*(C*sin(ky) +D*cos(ky)), for k^2>0 and a similar expression for k^2<0 where k^2 is a separation constant.

9. Aug 15, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If k is real, what happens to ##\Phi## as x goes to ±∞?

10. Aug 15, 2016 #9
    Right Φ would blow up exponentially. So a boundary condition we impose is that Φ should vanish as x→∞, which in this instance requires k to be imaginary.

11. Aug 15, 2016 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\Phi## does not need to vanish as x → ±∞. In fact, since the magnetic surface is infinitely large, you would not expect ##\Phi## to vanish as x or z → ±∞.

12. Aug 15, 2016 #11
    Right, just like the electric potential of an infinite plane doesn't vanish. I'm not sure what you're driving me towards then.

13. Aug 15, 2016 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was just trying to point out that your statement in post #9 that ##\Phi## should vanish as x → ∞ is incorrect. Therefore you can not use that as a reason for k to be imaginary.

EDIT: Note that the statement "##\Phi## cannot blow up exponentially as x →±∞" is not equivalent to the statement "##\Phi## should vanish as x → ±∞"

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  14. Aug 15, 2016 #13
    Ah, ok. I'll post a better reason tomorrow.

15. Aug 15, 2016 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. You are on the right track. Just stick with the idea that ##\Phi## cannot blow up exponentially as x →±∞.

16. Aug 16, 2016 #15
    If k is imaginary then e^(kx) will be an element of U(1) and rather than blowing up it will circulate faster and faster, allowing for a finite potential at infinity and no exponential increase.

17. Aug 16, 2016 #16

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. If k is imaginary then try to see that you get circular functions of x and exponential functions of y. That is, if k = ib, then the set {ekx, e-kx} may be replaced by the set {sinbx, cosbx}. And the set {sinky, cosky} may be replaced by the set {eby, e-by}.

The same result would have come from replacing the separation constant k2 by -b2 when solving Laplace's equation.

18. Aug 16, 2016 #17
    Ok, so now that I have the general solution for Φ how do I implement the boundary conditions?

19. Aug 16, 2016 #18

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about the behavior of the general solution for ##\Phi## at the "boundaries" of x or y.

20. Aug 16, 2016 #19
    Φ needs to be continuous across the coordinate planes, y=0 and x=0, so we impose conditions on the coefficients in the general solution.

21. Aug 16, 2016 #20
    And the normal derivative of Φ has a discontinuity equal to the change in magnetization, giving a further condition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted