Help with classes to get into Quantum Computing

In summary: This means taking courses in quantum mechanics, solid state physics, computer architecture and relevant engineering mathematics. Additionally, you should also explore other areas such as quantum algorithms and information theory to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the field. It is not necessary to focus solely on computer architecture or physics, as both are important for a career in quantum computing. However, make sure to also gain a strong foundation in mathematics as it is crucial for understanding the underlying principles of quantum mechanics and engineering.
pjcircle
Hi I am an undergrad student in an Electrical engineering program and going for my masters and undergrad degree at the same time (special program i am in). I an very interested on the hardware side of quantum computing as to have a future career in this field (eventually will go for a PhD). I was wondering what classes specifically I should be taking to better support this goal. At the moment my masters concentration is in microelectronic devices and systems which mainly focuses on solid state devices/solid state physics and VLSI design along with some core courses which include Linear systems theory (mostly signal processing), probability and stochastic processes and analytical methods for EEs (this includes a lot of linear algebra, Cauchy-Binet and Laplace determinant theorems, system of linear equations; linear transformations, basis and rank; Gaussian elimination; LU and congruent transformations; Gramm-Schmidt; eigenvalues, eigenvectors and similarity transformations; canonical forms; functions of matrices; singular value decomposition; generalized inverses; norm of a matrix; polynomial matrices; matrix differential equations; state space; controllability and observability)

Due to completing a lot of my prereq college courses in high school it has leaked over to me being able to have a lot of electives in my grad program since I was able to finish core courses for my grad program in my undergrad program. Some of these electives will be going to quantum mechanics courses obviously. My questions are do I have the math background after the above courses and the generic core engineering math curriculum (multivariable calc/differential equations calculus etc.) to understand the physics/engineering in the field i am interested in and if not what math courses should i be looking for to fix that, general courses i should take and should I focus more on computer architecture classes or more so physics classes.

Sorry for the wall of text but I feel it was necessary =P and thanks ahead of time for the help!

Oh and if this is the wrong thread (wasnt sure if it belongs in the quantum thread or the academic guidance thread) please let me know :)

Physics news on Phys.org
No one can answer that question simply because we don't have any idea what the hardware for a practical quantum computer would look like or even what branch of physics it would be based on(solid state, atomic physics, quantum optics etc ). At the moment there are many different competing technologies that can create very basic gates, but they are very, very different and no single person could ever master all of them.

Hence, at the moment you should focus on understanding the basics.

1. What classes should I take to get into quantum computing?

To get into quantum computing, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Some specific classes to consider include linear algebra, quantum mechanics, computer programming, and algorithms. Additionally, courses in quantum computing and quantum information theory will provide a deeper understanding of the field.

2. Are there any prerequisites for classes in quantum computing?

Yes, most classes in quantum computing will have prerequisites in mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is important to have a strong understanding of these subjects before diving into quantum computing. Some courses may also require prior knowledge of quantum mechanics or programming languages such as Python or C++.

3. Can I take online classes for quantum computing?

Yes, there are many online courses and programs available for learning about quantum computing. Some universities offer online courses, and there are also online learning platforms such as Coursera and edX that offer courses on quantum computing. It is important to do your research and choose a reputable source for online classes.

4. How long does it take to learn about quantum computing?

The amount of time it takes to learn about quantum computing will vary depending on your background and level of dedication. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science before diving into quantum computing. With this foundation, it can take anywhere from a few months to a few years to gain a solid understanding of quantum computing.

5. Are there any resources for self-study in quantum computing?

Yes, there are many resources available for self-study in quantum computing. Some recommended resources include textbooks, online courses, lectures and seminars, and research papers. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science before attempting self-study in quantum computing.