1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with deciding Major

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    I just the started third year of my college and I am a econ/actuary major. But the thing is I am completely not interested in the field and its been showing through. I have a G.P.A barely above 3.1. I go to college in Georgia. I was thinking about finishing my third year here and transferring to a better college and taking Chemistry as my major.

I am genuinely interested in the field and am absolutely sure that I can do extremely well in the classes and I want to go to graduate level then p.h.d. then research. But my question is, is it too late? Will I be not accepted into graduate schools even if I do extremely well in my chem classes, because I will have been in college for 5.5 years? Btw, tuition isnt too much of a problem because around here a semester costs about 5000 dollars, so the extra 3-4 semesters isn't too much of a problem.

My only concern is that I wont be taken seriously later on because I took so long to graduate and didn't do **** for the first 2 years.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't fret about it, Ghost. So what if it takes you longer. You have a good reason why, because you changed majors...lots of people change tracks!

Really, it won't matter, especially if your chemistry grades are good.

Look at the alternative: in two years you'll be unhappily working as an actuary, always wondering, "What if?"

You don't want that!

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3
    I think im going to take your advice Lisa. thx

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4
    man, if you are really good at CHEMISTRY and USA citizen, get a degree in COMPUTER FORENCISCS, you will work for CIA or FBI. I don't think it matters if it takes 5 years or 10 years to graduate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?