Help with differential geometry: Hilbert's stress energy tensor

In summary, when varying the Hilbert action, the stress-energy tensor is defined as T_uv = -2 (δL_matter/δg_uv) + g_uv L_matter. For T_uv to transform like a tensor, L_matter must be a scalar, which can be interpreted as the energy density and pressure of a perfect fluid. It is possible to show, with appropriate assumptions about L_matter, that the divergence of this stress-energy tensor is zero. This definition is supported by Eqn 144 and commentary in sections 3 and 6.2 of the article "The Stress-Energy Tensor for Electromagnetic Fields" by Poisson in Living Reviews in Relativity.
JustinLevy
When varying the Hilbert action, we define the stress-energy tensor as:
[tex]T_{\mu\nu}:= \frac{-2}{\sqrt{-g}}\frac{\delta (\sqrt{-g} \mathcal{L}_\mathrm{matter})}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}}
= -2 \frac{\delta \mathcal{L}_\mathrm{matter}}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}} + g_{\mu\nu} \mathcal{L}_\mathrm{matter}[/tex]

I am still struggling to learn how to read physical meaning into differential geometry equations.
Can someone help me "see the light" for how this makes sense as a stress-energy tensor?

For T_uv to transform like a tensor, Lmatter must be a scalar (which makes sense) but should be interpretted as the energy density / pressure of a perfect fluid!? (the [itex]g_{\mu\nu} \mathcal{L}_\mathrm{Matter}[/tex] term) That doesn't makes sense to me. Especially since a lagrangian is usually Kinentic energy - Potential energy ... and so doesn't make sense to interpret as a total energy (as opposed to the Hamiltonian). And why must it have pressure?In case my questions are too vague, here's a more concrete one to help me get my feet wet.
Is it possible to show (with appropriate assumptions about Lmatter) that the divergence of this stress-energy tensor is necessarily zero? I've seen it worked out where they prove, from Einstein's field equations, that the left hand side has zero divergence ... and therefore any solution demands that the right hand side, the stress-energy tensor, has no divergence either. But it would be more satisfying to see that this definition is reasonable on its own. I would like to see what assumptions about Lmatter are necessary to ensure that definition yields a stress-energy tensor that is divergenceless.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe take a look at Eqn 144 of http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2007-1/ , also the commentary in sections 3 and 6.2

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Hilbert's stress energy tensor in differential geometry?

Hilbert's stress energy tensor is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry and general relativity to represent the distribution of energy and momentum in a specific region of space. It is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of spacetime caused by matter and energy.

2. How is Hilbert's stress energy tensor calculated?

Hilbert's stress energy tensor is calculated using the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy. It involves complex mathematical calculations and requires a strong understanding of differential geometry and tensor analysis.

3. What is the significance of Hilbert's stress energy tensor?

Hilbert's stress energy tensor is significant because it allows us to understand the effects of matter and energy on the curvature of spacetime, and therefore, the behavior of objects in that region. It is a crucial component in Einstein's theory of general relativity and has implications for our understanding of the universe.

4. How does Hilbert's stress energy tensor relate to other tensors in differential geometry?

Hilbert's stress energy tensor is a specific type of tensor called a stress-energy-momentum tensor. It differs from other tensors in that it represents the energy and momentum of a system, rather than just the curvature of spacetime. It is also a symmetric tensor, meaning that it is equal to its transpose and has certain mathematical properties that make it useful in studying the effects of matter and energy on spacetime.

5. In what areas of science and research is Hilbert's stress energy tensor used?

Hilbert's stress energy tensor is primarily used in the fields of differential geometry, general relativity, and theoretical physics. It has applications in understanding the behavior of objects in strong gravitational fields, such as black holes, as well as in cosmology and the study of the universe's large-scale structure. It is also used in the development of new theories and models in physics.