Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors of 2x2 Matrix | Homework Help

In summary, if you have a matrix M with eigenvalues \lambda_1, \lambda_2, \ldots, then the corresponding eigenvectors are[tex]v_1, v_2, \ldots, v_n[/tex].
hex.halo

Homework Statement

Find the eigenvalues and correspointing eigenvectors of the matrix:

[1,1;1,1]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve the determinant to get the eigenvalues: e1=2, e2=0, and from here I am supposed to sub these values back into my matrix and find the eigenvectors, right? I'm not sure how to perform this process though...

Physics news on Phys.org
hex.halo said:
Find the eigenvalues and correspointing eigenvectors of the matrix [1,1;1,1]

I can solve the determinant to get the eigenvalues: e1=2, e2=0.

Hi hex.halo! :smile:

The standard way (which you must be able to do): just write [1,1;1,1](a,b) = (0,0), and solve; and the same for [1,1;1,1](a,b) = (2a,2b). :smile:

(And the shortcut in this case: the eigenvectors for M + a.I are the same as for M, for any matrix M and any number a … so just look for the eigenvectors of [0,1;1,0], which you can probably guess! :smile:)

Some people (on this board) use a "complicated method" of putting the eigenvalues into the matrix [itex]A-\lambda I[/itex] and row reducing but I much prefer tiny-tims method: any eigenvector, by definition, must satisfy [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex]. Set up that equation and solve for v.
For example, with eigenvalue 2, you must solve
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1 \\ 1 & 1\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} x \\ y\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c} 2x \\ 2y\end{array}\right][/itex]
You will NOT be able to solve for both x and y, only for y, say, as a function of x because any multiple of an eigenvector is also an eigenvector. Choose any convenient value of x, calculate the corresponding y, and any eigenvector is a multiple of that.

¿ "board" ?​

oh … do you mean "planck" … ? :biggrin:

(:confused: I take two!)

So, you're telling me that I need to solve y in terms of x from that (very nice) matrix set up, then I can sub in ANY number for x that I want to get my eigenvector and have the right answer? Wouldn't this result in an infinite number of correct eigenvectors? Actually, don't worry about that, I imagine i'll have that explained to me at some point. What I'd really like to know is, for any question, am I right to sub in 1 for my x value then just put a scalar multiple out the front of the matrix to represent all the multiples and that would be correct?

Yes, of course! If v is an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex], then so is any number times v. The set of all eigenvectors corresponding to a given eigenvalue forms a subspace! That always has an infinite number of vectors.

Yes, if you choose anyone of the vectors in the (one-dimensional) subspace, any other can be written as a multiple of it. You can choose x (or y and then solve for x) to be any number you please. "1" seems like a simple choice!

It is possible that the set of eigenvectors corresponding to an eigenvalue is a subspace of dimension larger than 1. For a 2 by 2 that would of course be all of R2. In that case that the matrix is larger than 2 by 2, with a single eigenvalue having "eigenspace" of dimension greater than 1, solving the equation [itex]Ax= \lambda x[/itex] would give an equation where other variables depend on two (or more) of the variables. In that case, taking them to be 1 and 0, then 0 and 1 should give you independent basis vectors for the subspace.

Related to Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors of 2x2 Matrix | Homework Help

What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 2x2 matrix?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra that are used to understand the behavior of matrices. For a 2x2 matrix, eigenvalues are the numbers that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in the vector being scaled. Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors that are scaled by the eigenvalues.

How do I find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 2x2 matrix?

To find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 2x2 matrix, you can use the characteristic equation. This involves finding the determinant of the matrix and solving for the values of lambda (the eigenvalues) that make the determinant equal to 0. Once you have the eigenvalues, you can plug them back into the matrix to find the corresponding eigenvectors.

Why are eigenvalues and eigenvectors important?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important because they help us understand the behavior of a matrix. They can be used to find solutions to systems of linear equations, to determine the stability of a system, and to simplify calculations involving matrices. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What is the difference between eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

The main difference between eigenvalues and eigenvectors is that eigenvalues are scalars (numbers) while eigenvectors are vectors. Eigenvalues represent the scaling factor for the corresponding eigenvectors, which are the vectors that are not affected in direction by the matrix transformation.

Can a 2x2 matrix have complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Yes, a 2x2 matrix can have complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This happens when the characteristic equation has complex solutions. In this case, the eigenvectors will also be complex numbers. It is important to note that the complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors will still follow the same rules as real ones, such as being orthogonal to each other.