1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with First Order Differential

1. Mar 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    AWzLt5n.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part is fairly simple I think. It's just rate of accumulation = rate of generation - rate of output(losses)

I'm not too sure how to solve this differential equation. I divide the whole equation through by mc and rearrange but I keep getting an extra constant and I have no idea what to do with it.

I get someone in the form dtheta/dt + P(t)theta = Q(t) + constant and I have no idea how to solve that. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2015 #2

wabbit

Gold Member

The term that is messing things up is ## mc_vkt ##. So, first solve the differential equation without that term. You'll get a solution of the form Constant*Something. This gives you an idea of how the solution might look like : try the form C(t)*Something (same Something, now C(t) is what you solve for.)

4. Mar 8, 2015 #3
    Hey, thanks for replying. Surely if I just remove a term from the differential I won't be solving what I'm supposed to or am I missing something else? :S

5. Mar 8, 2015 #4

wabbit

Gold Member

Of course you won't, but it's like a warm up lap. The solution to the simplified equation serves you as a basis from which you build the solution to the full equation - this is a very common and useful strategy in diff equations (and not only there)

I told you how in first post

6. Mar 8, 2015 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Divide your equation through by ##mc_v## and put it in the form$$
    \frac{d\theta}{dt}+\alpha \theta = \alpha \theta_w + kt$$That is a constant coefficient linear DE. You can solve it using constant coefficient methods for homogeneous and non-homogeneous equations, or use an integrating factor ##e^{\alpha t}##.

7. Mar 10, 2015 #6
    Hey thanks for answering, I thought about that but surely that's not in the correct form to use an integrating factor? From my notes on the left it should just be Q(t) but we have a constant term in there as well.

8. Mar 10, 2015 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "it" in ... on the left it should just be Q(t) ?

That is the correct integrating factor.

What is the derivative of ## \theta\,e^{\alpha\, t}\ ##?

9. Mar 10, 2015 #8
    No I get that, it's just that I thought in order to use the integrating factor differentials had to be in the form dy/dx + p(x)y = Q(x)

and LCKurtz reply mentioned dividing through by mc to get dy/dx + p(x)y = Q(x) + constant
    I'm just wondering is it still okay to use the IF here?

10. Mar 10, 2015 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you just try it and see what happens?

11. Mar 10, 2015 #10
    Fine, I'll give it a go now.

12. Mar 10, 2015 #11

Ah, it worked out, thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted