How Do You Calculate Net Inward Force on a Submerged Barrel?

In summary, the conversation is about a cylindrical barrel that falls off a ship and sinks to the bottom of the sea at a depth of 1.61 km. The seawater is assumed to be incompressible, with a density of 1020 kg/m^3 at the bottom of the sea. The pressure inside the barrel is 1.00 atm and its total surface area is 3.50 m^2. The question is to find the net inward force acting on the surface of the barrel at the bottom of the ocean. The formula used is Ptot = Psurface + ρgh, and after calculations, the net force is found to be 4.67 x 10^6 N.
xxxzyon
Help with fluid mechanics!?

Suppose a cylindrical barrel falls off a ship and sinks to the bottom of the sea at a depth of 1.61 km. Assume that the seawater is incompressible, so that its density at the bottom of the sea is the same at the surface :1020 kg/m^3

If the pressure inside the barrel is 1.00 atm (it was sealed at sea level) and the total surface area of the barrel is 3.50 m^2 , find the NET INWARD FORCE acting on the surface of the barrel when it reaches the bottom of the ocean.

For my attempt, I used the formula Ptot = P surface + ρ density of water x g x h.
The total pressure I got was 116 atm, then I plugged this pressure into P = F/A and got a force of 4. 67 x 10^6 N...

I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing first actually, any guidance would be helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
So it is the surface area of the barrel, times the net pressure (116 - 1)=115 atm, pointing inwards.

Net force = pressure x area.

Your hydrostatic pressure formula looks correct: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pflu.html
... so double-check your calculations, and you are all done.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) when they are in motion or at rest. It deals with the study of how forces, such as pressure and gravity, affect the motion and behavior of fluids.

2. What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications in our daily lives, including the design of aircrafts, cars, and ships, the development of water and sewage systems, the design of turbines and pumps, and the study of weather patterns and ocean currents.

3. How is fluid mechanics different from solid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics differs from solid mechanics in that it focuses on the behavior of fluids, which can flow and change shape, while solid mechanics deals with the behavior of rigid bodies. Additionally, fluids are subject to different laws and equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, compared to solids.

4. What are some key concepts in fluid mechanics?

Some key concepts in fluid mechanics include viscosity, which is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow, Bernoulli's principle, which describes the relationship between fluid pressure and velocity, and turbulence, which is the chaotic swirling motion of fluids.

5. How can I improve my understanding of fluid mechanics?

To improve your understanding of fluid mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. You can also practice solving problems and experiments related to fluid mechanics, and seek out resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and tutorials. Seeking guidance from a mentor or joining a study group can also be helpful.