Help with infinite sequences and series

In summary: However, if you already know the sum in the denominator of term k, then you can go ahead and solve for the kth term.For 1(a), the kth term is S^k = \frac{1}{1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10} = 1For 1(a), the limit as k approaches infinity is S^k = 1
suprajzturbo
Member warned that template must be used and an effort shown
upload_2015-9-29_6-6-11.png

upload_2015-9-29_6-5-20.png

I tried the comparison test for one B but not sure if I am right. Think it could also be a ratio test because of the variable exponent. I'm lost totally lost on number one A. Also, I have the answer for the first part of three but don't know how to do the second part of it by comparing.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For A, do you know that [itex]1+ 2+ 3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + k= \frac{k(k+1)}{2}[/itex]?
For B, [itex]\sqrt{k}- \sqrt{k+1}= \frac{(\sqrt{k}- \sqrt{k+1})(\sqrt{k}+ \sqrt{k+ 1}}{\sqrt{k}+ \sqrt{k+1}}= \frac{-1}{\sqrt{k}+ \sqrt{k+1}}[/itex]

For 3, you say you have already determined the values of p such that the given series converges. Okay, for what values of p does [itex]\sum_{n= 1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^p}[/itex] converge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hint: For 1(a) first recall the formula for the first ##k## natural numbers, then use partial fraction decomposition. After that, you will see lots of things cancelling.

suprajzturbo said:
View attachment 89511
View attachment 89510

I tried the comparison test for one B but not sure if I am right. Think it could also be a ratio test because of the variable exponent. I'm lost totally lost on number one A. Also, I have the answer for the first part of three but don't know how to do the second part of it by comparing.

Thanks

Do you know how to evaluate the sum ##1+2+3 + \cdots + k##? I cannot believe you have not seen it before, and if not, try a Google search.

Ray, isn't the limit of k the summation? So, it would be infinity? I just finished reading sequences and series but prof. is already 3 sections ahead. Stewart's Calculus isn't helping so these instructional google videos (e.g. Khan Academy and prof. Leonard) slow me down. Halls of ivy, how did you get rid of the variable exponent? Krylov, I'm not really good at partial fraction decomposition and the only formula I know is two from geometric series and just bunch of theorems at the moment.

suprajzturbo said:
Ray, isn't the limit of k the summation? So, it would be infinity? I just finished reading sequences and series but prof. is already 3 sections ahead. Stewart's Calculus isn't helping so these instructional google videos (e.g. Khan Academy and prof. Leonard) slow me down. Halls of ivy, how did you get rid of the variable exponent? Krylov, I'm not really good at partial fraction decomposition and the only formula I know is two from geometric series and just bunch of theorems at the moment.

In 1(a) your sum has the form
[tex] S = \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{1+2} + \frac{1}{1+2+3} + \cdots + \frac{1}{1+2+ \cdots + k} + \cdots [/tex]
I am asking you if you can find a formula for the ##k##th term of the sum; later on, you can worry about whether the sum is convergent. But first, you need to get the kth term in a more manageable form.

As I said, if you do not know the sum in the denominator of term k, you can go to the library and look it up, or nowadays do an on-line search.

What is an infinite sequence?

An infinite sequence is a list of numbers that continue indefinitely, with no end point. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the sequence can be represented using a general term or recursive formula.

What is a series?

A series is the sum of all the terms in an infinite sequence. It can also be thought of as the limit of the partial sums of a sequence as the number of terms approaches infinity.

What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one whose sum approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases, while a divergent series is one whose sum either approaches infinity or does not have a defined sum.

What are some common tests for determining convergence or divergence of a series?

Some common tests include the comparison test, limit comparison test, ratio test, root test, and integral test. These tests can help determine if a series converges or diverges based on the behavior of the terms in the sequence.

How can I use infinite sequences and series in real-world applications?

Infinite sequences and series can be used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. They can be used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electric circuits.