Help with interference fits of sleeve on a solid shaft

In summary, the person is trying to determine the minimum thickness for a sleeve to not fail during assembly by interference fit. They have the interference value and outer diameter of the shaft, but no other information. They are seeking advice on how to solve for pressure, stresses, and ultimately the minimum thickness, and have been recommended to try thread 290015. They are also unable to provide specific values for pressure, outer radius, or thickness due to having multiple materials to work with. They are asking if there is any relationship that could assist them in their calculations.
A.sad.me
I am trying to find the minimum thickness that a sleeve (without relief) needs to be in order to not fail when assembled by interference fit. I know the interference value and the outer diameter of the shaft, but that's all...

How do I solve for pressure, stresses, and ultimately the minimum thickness that a sleeve could be?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps try thread 290015.

Unfortunately I do not have either pressure, or outer radius (or thickness) so I am still having trouble going about this. Is there any relationship that could help? And I have many materials to work with so I cannot say what those specific values are

What is an interference fit?

An interference fit is a type of fastening method where a sleeve or collar is pressed onto a solid shaft with a larger diameter. This creates a tight, frictional grip between the two components, allowing them to function as one unit.

What are the benefits of using an interference fit?

An interference fit can provide several benefits, including increased strength and stability of the joint, improved load distribution, and prevention of slippage or movement between the components.

How do I determine the correct interference fit for my application?

The amount of interference required for a tight fit depends on factors such as the material and dimensions of the shaft and sleeve, the type of load the joint will experience, and the desired level of interference. Consulting a fit tolerance chart or using specialized software can help determine the appropriate fit for your specific application.

What are some common challenges with interference fits?

Interference fits can be difficult to achieve and may require precision machining or specialized tools. Additionally, thermal expansion or contraction of the materials can alter the fit over time, and disassembly of the joint may be challenging.

How can I improve the interference fit of a sleeve on a solid shaft?

There are several techniques that can be used to improve the interference fit, such as using lubricants or heating or cooling the components to adjust their dimensions. Additionally, selecting materials with compatible thermal expansion coefficients can help maintain the fit over time.